Postage

lsb.123
Community Member

I live in a fairly remote area and do a lot of ebay shopping.  Generally if I, say, order on a Friday, I will have the item by the end of the next week, sometimes earlier.  Lately "aussie stock" (won't buy from china) seems to take forever.  When check the tracking, Australia Post have issued the tracking number but they don't seem  to have the package for quite a few days later, hence its taking 2 weeks to get here (not Australia Post's fault).  How can I guard against this as its really annoying that they haven't really sent the item when they say they have.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Postage

Don’t forget, some areas are dealing with floods, road closures, and this will affect your delivery schedule. 

Personally, I think 2 weeks in Australia isn’t too bad, all things considering! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

@lsb.123 wrote:

Sorry if I am confusing you, but Australia Post says it has given the item a tracking number.  but it just sits there.  I contacted them and they told me that people can get a tracking number before Australia Post physically has the package.  They even suggested it was probably coming from overseas but are not telling you that.

Others have mentioned pre paid satchels as one reason for an item showing as delivered. For others, buying a postage label online, either through ebay or Australia Post, will show the item as being posted within an instant of paying for the label online.

Then there are the Chinese sellers who have people in Australia. You make your purchase and a postage label is generated by the Australian resident,  which then marks the item as sent and has a tracking number. If you look at the tracking number, it will say "shipping information received by Australia Post" (or something to that effect). You keep checking and checking and it doesn't change. Until 2-3 weeks later where it updates that the item has been received by Aust Post. The 2-3 weeks was because it was being sent from China.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

This has been happening before the floods.  The givaway is the tracking.  I ordered something on 26 October and they said they mailed it on that day.  Aus Post say they have tracking details but do not have the package.  Seller will not admit they  did not send it yet and just ask to wait a few days or its Aus Post fault, which it is not.

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

Yes exactly.  In future if I see that I am going to contact the seller and tell them they are going to get a totally negative feedback, not just for the posting but for the whole thing, even if the product is good.

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

@lsb.123 wrote:

In future if I see that I am going to contact the seller and tell them they are going to get a totally negative feedback, not just for the posting but for the whole thing, even if the product is good.

That's called "feedback extortion" and the seller will be able to immediately have the neg removed.

So that is NOT a solution to your problem.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

They will be blocked by eBay full stop if they try pulling that stunt too many times

Welcome to many party lists I'd say

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

@lsb.123 wrote:

I live in a fairly remote area and do a lot of ebay shopping.  Generally if I, say, order on a Friday, I will have the item by the end of the next week, sometimes earlier.  Lately "aussie stock" (won't buy from china) seems to take forever.  When check the tracking, Australia Post have issued the tracking number but they don't seem  to have the package for quite a few days later, hence its taking 2 weeks to get here (not Australia Post's fault).  How can I guard against this as its really annoying that they haven't really sent the item when they say they have.

This is most definitely not unique to ebay.

This is common across a lot of online sites.

What you will see happen is often in your email (or on your My ebay section), you will see that a tracking number has been generated.

That just means that the seller has entered postage details into the system, generated a label. It doesn't mean the label is on the package and the package is in the little hot hands of Australia Post.

What happens then is perhaps next day or a day or two later, you'll see another email that will tell you the time the parcel was received by Australia Post.

That is the one you have to look out for because that means your item is then in the postal system. It is no longer with the seller.

You've got a few things going on in your opening post. Firstly, the seller isn't saying they have sent the item when they really haven't. They are simply uploading what the tracking details will be once the item is lodged at the post office.

You're asking how you can guard against it. When you buy something on ebay, you can usually look up handling details. The seller will say they post next day or within 3 business days or whatever.

You can watch that tracking number. Wait for that notification that it is lodged with Aust Post, see if that fits the ad.

It isn't 100% accurate though as some sellers may post in a box instead of over the counter.

But your sure fire check is the delivery date. No matter what the tracking shows, if that item arrives within the expected/advertised range of delivery dates, then you really haven't got a cause to complain.

So I think your best bet is to check that out that delivery window. If it doesn't suit, don't buy. You can also check out feedback and if a seller is continually slow to post, that will usually get a mention.

If an item does show as having been received in good time into the Aust post system though, maybe grant a bit of leeway if the delivery is delayed a few days as that is out of the hands of the seller.

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Learn how to use AP tracking.

Tracking numbers are  generated when a shipment is paid for.  Tracking details will show (information received by AP).    At this time the item is still in possession of the seller, the item could be waiting for AP collection service, or for the item to be lodged with  AP.

Once AP have collected the item or the seller has physically lodged the item with AP staff, then tracking will be updated  and show  (Received by Network   Time/date/location)

Note:   If the seller lodges the item via a street side post box,  Tracking details may not be updated until the item is finally scanned, which could be at time of delivery.

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Firstly, you do appear to be very self absorbed….. me, me, me! I will do this, I will do that! Even marking your own posts as the solution 😉

Secondly, I don’t think you have any bloody idea about the floods and the havoc they have caused with regional and rural postal service! 

Thirdly, it is very apparent you have no idea how the eBay/ seller/ uploading tracking/ MBG policy requirements/ handling timeframe/ WORKS!!!!!  Very apparent! 😒

I’ve actually had parcels arrive that hadn’t even been marked as posted yet. I’ve received tracking notification the moment I took possession of it at my front door! So please, for the love of god, CALM DOWN! 

Some folk are dealing with a lot more than whether you get a purchase in 2 weeks, or 3! 

If you can’t stand it,  shop elsewhere or delete your account! 😑

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Snap gutterpunk 😂

Be Kind To Nurses....
Message 20 of 25
Latest reply