Price jacking before sales

Does Ebay monitor sellers before sales are annouced for price jacking which is illegal?

Its common practice on Ebay for sellers to jack up their prices before a sale. recent "PUPGRADE" sale is just an example. Can we be given tool to see price histroy of an item so we can catch these illegal sales practices?

Just makes Ebay sales rather pointless

<Removed>

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You would need to ask eBay, but be aware they will only tell you what you want to hear from pre-loaded scripts based on common or key questions

Anything 'too hard' and your call will be 'disconnected'

Otherwise, as this same thing as been discussed at length before, have a read of those threads and see if you find anything of use there

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ebay does not monitor seller's prices at all but you can see on a listing whether there has been a change in price or any other change to the listing.....read the Revisions on the Listing.

I have bought from several of the sellers in that promotion in the past when there has been a similar promotion on and never seen any evidence of price jacking.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks for this, found the evidence of price jacking but there is no option to report to ebay. Only set options but no "other" tab to report this.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Ebay is not a government body so I would say complaints need to be made to the ACCC if it regards an illegal practice. If there is an ebay policy that has been broken then yes ebay would be your first point of complaint but I would go the ACCC for this matter.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

I think you would have to prove prior knowledge of a sale to prove price jacking.

As far as I know ebay just rolls them out randomly.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

I don't understand what is "price jacking" ? as a seller you are able to list any item for what ever you like. you cant change a price after a sale before payment or if an offer has been made. otherwise it is the sellers discretion to charge whatever they want.
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Yep, there is annocemnt day before and vendors jack up the prices same % as as or slightly less than the sale price. 

^No its illegal

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

I may be reading your complaint wrong, but from what I have read, when Ebay announces a sale the seller still gets their asking price. Ebay takes the loss. There is no need for the seller to increase their price before the sale as they are losing nothing. So I find it difficult to beleive that this is a problem for buyers.

Since I sell so rarely that I have never had one of my items sold in a sale to my knowledge I could be wrong. Someone correct me if this is the case please.

Latest reply

@asymmetry0 wrote:

Yep, there is annocemnt day before and vendors jack up the prices same % as as or slightly less than the sale price. 

^No its illegal

If you believe what you're saying, then by all means, report them to ACCC and see what they say about it.

https://www.accc.gov.au/ 

But I still say you must have proof that they had knowledge of the ebay sale about to happen.

I believe the law states it's illegal to do this for their own sales.

edit unable to find anything relevant just yet.  Still looking.  Maybe you can too.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/setting-prices

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply