Product in Australia but sellers are overseas

I purposely search for Australia Only, I like to buy Australia and like my purchase quickly. Why is it possible then for the product to be located in Sydney (for example) and then be sent from Hong Kong by an overseas seller.? This seems deceitful to me..

Thoughts and answers welcome.

Message 1 of 67
Latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Product in Australia but sellers are overseas

Buuut, countess, that was obviously a considered response.

After all the mouse has been a board member for over 9 years. I assume they wanted to make their first post after all this time a momentous, directed, informational one.

Message 61 of 67
Latest reply

Thank you to all the responders to this question of 'misrepresentation' but the fact is here in Australia we have the Fair Trading Act (Federal) which makes it illegal to misrepresent the origins of any product. Large fines may be applied for advertising breaches. I, too, am fed up with seeing an item located in Sydney, delivery time of a few days,  then turns up from Hong Kong, Singapore, China etc., some weeks later. I don't care where an item comes from and have purchased from all over the world, but as long as I know I am going to wait, then I can schedule what I am doing. I think this is called courtesy and civility. Ebay needs to enforce this policy.

Message 62 of 67
Latest reply

How do you think eBay could check millions of listings every day? And how would they be able to ascertain that the foreign seller did not have stock in country (as many do)? How would you apply the AUSTRALIAN Fair Trading Act to a foreign seller Australian law has no jurisdiction over?

These, and many other, questions have been asked and answered numerous times on the numerous more current threads about these issues.

Message 63 of 67
Latest reply

@skyflyerblue wrote:

Thank you to all the responders to this question of 'misrepresentation' but the fact is here in Australia we have the Fair Trading Act (Federal) which makes it illegal to misrepresent the origins of any product. Large fines may be applied for advertising breaches. I, too, am fed up with seeing an item located in Sydney, delivery time of a few days,  then turns up from Hong Kong, Singapore, China etc., some weeks later. I don't care where an item comes from and have purchased from all over the world, but as long as I know I am going to wait, then I can schedule what I am doing. I think this is called courtesy and civility. Ebay needs to enforce this policy.

You aren't expected to put up with that and ebay in fact does deal with it quite effectively.

If the delivery time is a few days and it doesn't turn up till some weeks later, then you have been too patient. You need to open an item not received claim soon after the expected delivery date has been and gone. If you do that, the seller won't be able to prove that you have in fact received it because you haven't. You should, with luck, get your money refunded. A lot of these items that are coming from China don't have tracking anyway.

If it does turn up very late, you need to ding their star rating and give appropriate feedback.

I've seen things with the location misrepresented but what i am finding is usually the ETA reflects the truth. You'll see Sydney, for example, listed as item location but delivery date is a month hence. Dead give away.

Message 64 of 67
Latest reply

Here is another reason why delivery location and with that time is relevant. I am in the procedure of selling my house and will leave it within a month and will go overseas after. I can't afford to wait more than 4 weeks for an item to arrive as I will be away by then, hence had to make sure I purchased an item with a location indicated as in Australia. Now it turns out it is shipping from Hong Kong. Not only it might not arrive in time but I cuould have purchased it way cheaper via Aliexpress. This is trully a mess and should be not allowed!

Message 65 of 67
Latest reply

Parcel from Sydney to Brisbane 2-3 Days

Parcel that says Item location Sydney and then comes from China 10 days later and still not here. 

Thats the difference and its fraud.

Message 66 of 67
Latest reply

@plymouthred wrote:

Parcel from Sydney to Brisbane 2-3 Days

Parcel that says Item location Sydney and then comes from China 10 days later and still not here. 

Thats the difference and its fraud.

I have found that when item location is misrepresented like that and the item comes from China there is usually a statement hidden away in the description saying that if their warehouse is out of stock of an item the order will be filled from an overseas warehouse (read China).

Also, and of more use in finding out about location misrepresentation, is that many members who go through this mention it in the feedback they leave for the seller.

So, LOOK AT FEEDBACK BEFORE BUYING if coming from China is an issue for you.

**edit**

I forgot to say "welcome to these boards"

**2nd edit**

Sorry, I forgot the welcome smiley face  Smiley Happy

Message 67 of 67
Latest reply