Product in Australia but sellers are overseas

I purposely search for Australia Only, I like to buy Australia and like my purchase quickly. Why is it possible then for the product to be located in Sydney (for example) and then be sent from Hong Kong by an overseas seller.? This seems deceitful to me..

Thoughts and answers welcome.

Message 1 of 67
Latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

It is deceitful and i'm pretty sure it is against ebays listing policy. I would report it.
Message 2 of 67
Latest reply

I have the same problem, seller says" in stock in Sydney", yet item is sent from China, postman tells me it takes up to 8 weeks to come from China as they fill a container in Hongkong to save money. that takes time to fill,

Message 3 of 67
Latest reply

remember that you have 45 days within which to open an Item Not Received cas with PayPal.

Even if the seller assures you the item is on the way - DO NOT let things go past this timeline.

If you get a refund and the goods turn up later, you can then just repay the seller, but if you wait past the 45 days, you will have very little  hope of getting a refund.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 67
Latest reply

murdock468 wrote:Why is it possible then for the product to be located in Sydney (for example) and then be sent from Hong Kong by an overseas seller.

These sellers are known as "drop shippers".  It's quite a common sales procedure used on eBay, and doesn't breach eBay's terms and conditions.

Message 5 of 67
Latest reply

@ausgeoff1946 wrote:

murdock468 wrote:Why is it possible then for the product to be located in Sydney (for example) and then be sent from Hong Kong by an overseas seller.

These sellers are known as "drop shippers".  It's quite a common sales procedure used on eBay, and doesn't breach eBay's terms and conditions.

It does. If the item location is misrepresented. ie A dropshipper doesn't breach eBay's terms if they state the actual location of an item. If they, for example, state item location as Brisbane when the item is in Hong Kong, then they are definitely in breach of eBay's T&Cs.

Please don't post erroneous information. Some members might think what you're saying is true. And be bitten.

Message 6 of 67
Latest reply

I have one question about this.

Say a seller lists an item as being in Australia, you buy it and pay via paypal.

If the item is actually coming from overseas, does paypal charge you those conversion fees for dealing with a different currency?

Or has the seller arranged payment in aussie dollars into an aussie bank account,  even if the goods are from overseas?

I would be livid if I bought from someone representing themselves as an Australian business and then got charged extra in conversion fees.

Message 7 of 67
Latest reply

You pay in the currency that the item is listed in.  If it is listed in AU$ you will pay in AU$.  If it is listed in US$ or GBP that is the currency you will pay in, with the appropriate paypal conversion fees.

Message 8 of 67
Latest reply

elbourn
Community Member

I too try to only buy from Australian sellers to avoid all the postage hassels. I'm happy to pay a it more for the peace of mind knowing that my item will arrive on time and as described.  I've just been caught out by a seller who says item is in Sydney and delivery is up to a week. Nearly three weeks later the item still has not arrived and seller doesn't care because postage from CHINA takes a long time.

I've checked into ebay policies and this is most certainly against their rules (under "item location misrepresentation") so I've lodged a report.

Message 9 of 67
Latest reply

Hi OP,

There must have been a reason you chose that item.

You must have liked it, liked the price, couldn't find another one that was definitely in Australia - whatever.

I can't believe anyone would buy something solely based on items location - there must have been some other endeering attributes to catch your eye in the first place.

personally, I couldn't care less if it came from Mars as long as it's what I saw  & liked.

If you like something, and think it may take a while longer to get to you, you can always request seller sends it with EMS.

From China, = 4 days, 5 if there is a weekend in between.

I buy lot of Chinese heavy silk for furnishings, you can't get in Australia, all my parcels arrive always on time, no holdups, postage with full tracking very reasonable, around 50 bucks.

Message 10 of 67
Latest reply