GST when buying overseas - a few FACTS

The following link provides some very clear information on the new GST when buying from overseas.  It's fairly short and to the point.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Infor...

It makes clear that a 're-deliverer' (such as Pitney Bowes) is responsible for collecting the GST, not the original seller or site it was bought on.  Re-delivers (forward services) don't have to register for the GST if they're under the $75K threshold, same as sellers and EDPs.

Using a re-deliverer

You are using a re-deliverer if you:

• purchase goods and have them sent to a mailbox in another country to be re-shipped to you in Australia.
  • use the services of an overseas business that buys goods on your behalf and then helps you bring those goods to Australia.

The re-deliverer will charge GST on the goods and for their services in bringing the goods to you, if they are registered or required to be registered.

The business that makes the original sale should not charge GST, as they are not sending the goods to Australia. This means that you should not pay GST twice.

It also makes clear that GST is payable on the item cost plus the delivery fee (postage).

If you buy something as a gift you still pay GST, same as you would if you go to a physical store in Australia and buy a gift for someone.

It says that if a site thinks it's likely that GST will be payable, the website should display a GST-inclusive price.  If they're not sure if it'll apply or not, they have to say that extra tax may apply.  On this ebay page: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771   ebay states that they do display this on listings.  I checked and it's there - but it's hidden away down near the bottom on the payments tab where most people never look.  Technically they've fulfilled their legal obligations but it's a bit of a joke!

ebay gst.png

This information about the "GST may apply" isn't on GSP listings, obviously because ebay isn't responsible for collecting the GST on the sale.

I couldn't find anything about not being able to charge for collecting the GST but it looks like Pitney Bowes are charging a fee for doing it.  The forms they fill out for customs shouldn't be any different to before because I read on another page that nothing will have GST added to it when it comes through customs at the border, unless it's worth over $1K.  All PB are doing that they weren't before is collecting the GST and sending it to the Australian govt.

I read a bit of other interesting information on other pages (from following the links) but can't remember it all now.  I don't think it said anywhere that a seller (or re-deliverer) has to supply an itemised invoice.  It only said the invoice will usually be GST-inclusive.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Good work!

That at least clears up why Pitney Bowes is collecting the GST instead of ebay.   But I think they are unconscionable in the extra fee being charged.

They already charge like wounded bulls for preparing the paperwork for the shipping, making for very expensive shipping charges.

To further charge for collecting the GST is really offensive.

Message 2 of 91
Latest reply

Clearly and succinctly put, brerrabbit.

And like Lyndal, I agree - wounded bull is what comes to mind.

Message 3 of 91
Latest reply

I found that ATO page when I went looking for the ebay page on charging the GST. It states it quite simply so I thought it'd be a good idea to start a new thread on it. I'm sure someone will still start a new thread quite soon on one of the points covered in that ATO article!

I read on another page (https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/gst-on-imported-services-and-digital-...) that if the seller/EDP/re-deliverer chooses to use the simplified GST system they don't have to provide itemised invoices.
Message 4 of 91
Latest reply

I guess they do it simply because they can. Maybe they think we're all millionaires in Australia. They probably get enough stuff coming through to think people aren't too fussed about the charges.
Message 5 of 91
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just purchased some product ( unavailable in Australia ) from China.

GST was added to the bill which of itself I don't mind but how does

this GST get to our government. Is the GST actually being collected by eBay

and being passed along ?

Sorry but I don't have time to read a mile of government paper.

Message 6 of 91
Latest reply

I guess we can all thank Gerry Harvey and that guy from Myers Bernie, (whatever his last name is) for mounting a huge political campaign last year to badger the government into introducing GST on sub $1,000 private imports.

The fact the Productivity Commission proved their (Harvey et-al) claimslow value imports we hurting retailers to be ill-founded the government buckled to them.

End result is that the humble Aussie buyer is charged an extra 10% to line the pockets of the bigger end of town.

Who says money cannot buy favours in politics?

IT STINKS!

Message 7 of 91
Latest reply

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

I guess we can all thank Gerry Harvey and that guy from Myers Bernie, (whatever his last name is) for mounting a huge political campaign last year to badger the government into introducing GST on sub $1,000 private imports.

Someone should have told them it was already too late and that they were preaching to the converted. 

Message 8 of 91
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

........... but how does this GST get to our government. Is the GST actually being collected by eBay

and being passed along ?

The GST collected by ebay goes into a special paypal account in ebay's name and it is remitted to the ATO ffrom there.
Message 9 of 91
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I just purchased some product ( unavailable in Australia ) from China.

GST was added to the bill which of itself I don't mind but how does

this GST get to our government. Is the GST actually being collected by eBay

and being passed along ?

If it's not an item being shipped through the GSP, your PayPal payment is split in two - item price and any applicable postage going to the seller, and the GST component going to a designated account held by eBay, which is then passed on to the ATO. 

Edited to add: pipped at the post - 42 seconds too late!

Message 10 of 91
Latest reply