Purchased a counterfeit item

029eb
Community Member

Good day all,

I have just got some quick questions hoping all you gurus could answer for me in relation to the fake suit case I received this week.

So I have bought it 2 weeks ago, and delivery took a while (although it stated item was in Melbourne, when I took delivery it was originally sent off from China and to Singapore before reaching to my door). As soon as I opened the box, I knew something wasnt right as I had exact identical suite case before this one, the finishing, materials etc felt cheap.

So I have contacted the brand's official facebook page, and their representative asked me for photos of the TSA lock, the logo and the wheels. Minutes later, they confirmed it was a counterfeit item, and they could easily tell by

1. Logo - blurry and distorted

2. TSA lock - design of lock is completely different

3. Wheels - each of the four wheels should have the Brands name engraved but the one I received didnt.

Needless to say, i went to Ebay and tried to open a Money Back Gurantee case, trusting Ebay's name as they are usually very good in terms of **bleep** like this, and only to find out I could not open a MBG case because of:

- It is in the real estate category

- It is in the motor category

- or in a classified format

Anywho, contacted ebay and was brushed away by "item purchased through a paypal guest account, you need to contact paypal".

How they are emphasising on ebay and paypal being totally different company, I still dont get, then, how I paid for the item (i.e. what payment methods I used, credit card or paypal) is going to interfere or prohibit me from making that Money Back Gurantee claim.

I then went to Paypal, and was brushed away by my use of guest account (whatever reason when I checked out the item, i wasnt asked to log into paypal). They cannot cover me for buyers protection i.e. buyers will have to pay for postage to send back.

So we are in 2017, and I think ebay and paypal have definitely gone backwards in terms of buyers protection, all that good faith of being protected against counterfeits on ebay has completely gone.

Has anyone been through the same and could advise what to do in such scenario?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

perhaps you could show us the item number, not the seller's name or any other identifying details - so that the posters here have some idea of what you bought.   I am confused about the category- was it really listed in the wrong category?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Hi Curraone,

Thanks for your reply, below is link to it:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crash-Baggage-77cm-Pre-Damaged-Luggage-Suitcase-Black-Colour-Brand-New-/2...

Not sure why ebay wont let me open a case in resolution centre, below is the message i got when tried to lodge one:

Contacting the seller about a return

Crash Baggage 77cm, Pre-Damaged Luggage Suitcase, Black Colour, Brand New!
Item no: 262818284470
Buyer: 029eb
Sale date: 02/15/17 00:52
Quantity: 1
View order detailslink opens in new window

Unfortunately, we can't process returns for items in the Real Estate category, certain Motors categories, and the Classified Ad format.

You can try these options instead:

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

did you try to do this yesterday?   Friday is glitch day for ebay and most things don't work.

The seller purports to be in Australia, I agree.   Listed in the correct category - not real estate.

I think you should try to open a NOT As DESCRIBED CASE again though ebay, and if it doesn't work, contact ebay - (by using the "phone me" option) and see what the problem is.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

How did you try contacting them? personally, if you're not happy with their response (I would'nt be) try phoning them and asking for a call back and to speak to a supervisor

Methinks the seller knew what they were doing when the listed a suitcase as 'real estate' 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

But it's not listed in Real Estate.  

It's listed in the right category - suitcases

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I think I need more coffe  Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

No, Bear, you need more ee's.       Coffee has two 

Image result for i need coffee meme

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Oh good lord

it ain't my day

😭

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

First thing to do is open an ebay account using the email address you used as a guest, not sure if that will help but can't do any harm.

To open a Paypal dispute you will need to open a Paypal account again using the email address you used as a guest, the transaction should then be available in your new account to open a dispute. Make sure you sign up for Paypal's free returns promotion if it is still available before you open the dispute. If you already have a Paypal account then just add the email address you used to the account, you can have up to 8 addresses linked to one account.

Try those two options first and if neither works come back here.

Another option is if you used a credit card or a Visa debit card then you can do a chargeback but may find you have to return the item at your own cost. Before doing that I would email the seller and tell them unless they refund you within 48 hours you will do a credit card chargeback which will incur extra fees for them.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply