Questions on shipping costs and the 'eBay International Shipping Program'

If a seller has say 5 items, all small lightweight items and they're all of more or less the same size & weight, but each has a different shipping cost i.e. item 1 is $16.99, item 2 is $17.99, item 3 is $18.99, item 4 is $19.99 and item 5 is $20.99, my questions are:

1) How can each item have a different shipping cost when they're all the same size & weight?

2) If I bought all 5 individually that would be $94.95 in shipping cost! So as the buyer I'd want all 5 shipped together to save shipping cost, what then would the shipping cost be? Would it be the lower of the amounts i.e $16.99, the higher of the amounts i.e. $20.99 or some other amount?

3) If the seller only ships to the eIS Hub how do I do a 'Request total from seller' as this option appears unavailable, i.e. is 'blanked out', with the eIS Program.

4) Is it free for the seller to ship to the eIS Hub or does it depend on their location or state? So for some it could be free and for others not?

5) If I have all 5 items loaded into my Cart can the seller see all items in the Cart? If yes is it possible to request the seller manually send me an eBay invoice, where presumably the shipping cost can be 'combined' on it to get around the 'Request total from seller' option not being available?

6) Is it possible for a seller to manually send me an eBay invoice without having any items in my Cart or buying any items? e.g. in situations where the original total paid was either incorrect or charged to the wrong account and I want a 'corrected' invoice to pay on or the original invoice 'resent' so it can be charged to the right account? The original charge then being refunded.

7) How do seller's arrive at an item's shippng cost? Are they most likely entering an item's dimensions & weight into say a USPS shipping calculator? If so how can you have a situation where items of the same or similar size & weight have different shipping cost?

Is it possible, or it appears to me, eBay may not have thought through certain aspects of their International Shipping Program where a buyer may wish to combine 'multiple' items to save shipping cost. It seems eBay's International Shipping Program is geared toward buyer's purchasing only a 'single' item from a seller. Would this be a fair assessment?

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Questions on shipping costs and the 'eBay International Shipping Program'

@2486buffyslay wrote:

So why don't eBay just set up eIS for combined shipping! Surely that would make THE MOST SENSE! Or do eBay have some 'ulterior motive' for not doing this! I'm sure a great many sellers would equally want this as much as international buyers do! Or is it just GREED plain and simple? That eBay now stand to likely make more money off shipping charges on international buyers! 

Why are you asking me , I dont run Ebay.

And I could ask the same question to you, why do you insist on yelling at other forum members,  and not understanding the way it has being setup.

You may not agree with it,  but at the end of the day,  no one is forcing you to buy from sellers on Ebay,  based on your responses here I just hope you never buy from us,  as you are more trouble then a sale is worth.   The blocked list is very useful.

Message 41 of 55
Latest reply

so don't use it if you don't like it, and are unable (or unwilling) to grasp how it works and do not understand you are not going to get special treatment no matter how  many pages you carry on for

Why not tell eBay all this instead?

Other members are not going to pass on your demands for you

Given all your comments though, very likely you have been added to many party lists

And no, I don't work for ebay

I just don't like the 'This should'nt apply to me' routine or those who think they should be entitled to things nobody else is

Message 42 of 55
Latest reply

@2486buffyslay wrote:

AGAIN - WHY IS THERE NO COMBINED SHIPPING WITH THE EIS? ANYONE WITH AN ANSWER?

You would need to ask them. We can only guess.

My guess is it is to put a stop to any complications before they can happen. This shipping company is not actually selling the products, just shipping them on after they sell.

All pretty straight forward.

Even if you buy from the same seller, there is nothing to say that seller is going to send each and every separately sold item to the shipping company at the same time. That would cause complications then & delays for the company.

So why can't the system allow you as buyer to combine multiple items from one seller at the time of purchase?

I would guess it is because working out the actual postage cost might be complicated. You're assuming that a postage cost is what it actually costs to post something. But in this case especially, I would practically guarantee it is not. The cost of materials-boxes, bubble wrap etc would be built in, as well as an extra charge for handling and labour. This is a middle man type of operation and they aren't working for free. They are a company performing a service but they still need to make a profit.

Once something is sold & it is on its way to them, there is no benefit to them in trying to combine anything. In fact, quite the opposite.

Of course, I am just guessing and maybe in the future there will be some way to combine at time of purchase. Things change all the time. But for the moment, you'd be better off asking the EIS than people here as we can't make it happen.

Message 43 of 55
Latest reply

Here's an idea  YOU research and find out the answer and then YOU post here to let everyone know

And I mean proper research, not asking eBay reps who type from pre-written scripts and who have no proper training or experience using eBay. Real world research 

Rather than constantly yelling at other members to find out for you

And blaming the seller on top of it, calling them a lier (sic) the seller knows more about their listings and what they are charging that is for sure, so lay that one on the eBay rep

No wonder this one got fed up with you

If they have the sense they will cancel the order and block you

Message 44 of 55
Latest reply

My head hurts. Too early in the day to be yelled at. I'm done.

Message 45 of 55
Latest reply

@*sons_n_daughters* wrote:

My head hurts. Too early in the day to be yelled at. I'm done.

.............or how to get yourself on as many BBL's as possible 101.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 46 of 55
Latest reply

Because NO online shopping site has a field for 'shipping included', the actual case.

Live with it.

In the amount of time you've posted about things you don't understand you could have looked up those things, or even, as suggested many times, negotiated with the seller to reduce your postage costs.

Message 48 of 55
Latest reply

That is dispute the transactions and have the seller re-do the transaction

Go for it!

I suspect, if the seller has a couple of braincells to rub together, you will never be able to buy from them again. Hopefully.

Message 49 of 55
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I suspect, if the seller has a couple of braincells to rub together, you will never be able to buy from them again. Hopefully.

Hopefully already on the sellers block list.

I once had a clown like this,  and when they persisted, I offered them a higher postage rate.   No rules against it, and it got rid of them.

Message 50 of 55
Latest reply