Received invoice for additional postage from seller

Bought an item from the USA with $55 or so quoted as the shipping cost. Received a PayPal invoice saying that when they posted it the shipping was actually $75 and asking me to pay the extra.

Now part of me says that they should have ensured it was correct prior to listing it, it was a best offer listing that they knocked $20 off on offer, part of me says fair enough and pay it. However I don't know that I would have bought for the extra hence making the offer.

If it's posted already there's probably no recourse on their part, if they've not sent it then I guess they could refuse to but I'd just file for a refund in that case.

What would you do?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sellers can ask for more after the sale but buyers are NOT obliged to pay it as you only need pay the advertised amount.

You say they have posted it so the cannot force you to pay anyway and IF they have really posted it then I would not even respond and wait to see if it does arrive.

If it arrives and you are happy with the item and choose to pay the extra then pay it IF you want too.

EDIT It is up to the seller to have all the right costs included at the time they do the listing and yes if it does not arrive then open a dispute after allowing enough time to arrive.

Have they supplied any tracking details?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The message I got was please pay the additional and I will upload the tracking details.

Maybe a message to the seller stating that it's an unreasonable request to ask for addition costs (bearing in mind that's US dollars so more like $26au) and give them the option to cancel the sale? They may say they've already posted but at least I'll now then.

I sold something where the scales had faulted and it was actually over the 5kg limit for a satchel, postage would have been $15 or so more than the total item plus postage price the seller had paid, then I'd have been hit the fees as well. So I cancelled the sale (luckily the buyer understood) but I'd never dream of posting then asking for more money.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I've had the senior moments with postage. Like you though, I would never ask for more postage because I made the mistake.
I've just learnt the hard way and have been more careful.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

If it was a first time seller I'd play it by ear and see if it arrives and what the postage cost is on the label. If there's a big discrepancy, I'd probably throw a few bucks their way. If it's a long time, experienced seller, I'd be telling them to get stuffed.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Yep and sometimes I've taken stuff in and it's been 25 grams over so adds a few bucks on to go up to the next postal margin. But $20 is a pretty big amount to be out.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Could also be a ploy to make back the discount off the sale price - anything in their feedback to indicate prior funny business with postage amounts?

Depends on what which shipping service they're supposed to be using, but if you're not in a great hurry for the item and are feeling generous you might offer to accept a slower (and likely cheaper for the seller) shipping method as long as it's still tracked (and insured if appropriate) in lieu of paying them any extra.

It really is the buyer's responsibility to put the correct information in the listing - I think it's a bit rude to be asking your for additional payment in this situation.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

Could also be a ploy to make back the discount off the sale price - anything in their feedback to indicate prior funny business with postage amounts?

Depends on what which shipping service they're supposed to be using, but if you're not in a great hurry for the item and are feeling generous you might offer to accept a slower (and likely cheaper for the seller) shipping method as long as it's still tracked (and insured if appropriate) in lieu of paying them any extra.

It really is the buyer's responsibility to put the correct information in the listing - I think it's a bit rude to be asking your for additional payment in this situation.

Do you mean "seller"? ๐Ÿ˜„

Spoiler
Payback! Hee hee.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, thank you. Teach me not to read over my post before submitting! "

Smiley LOL

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Image result for touchรฉ emoticon

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply