Refund with no explanation

I recently bought a few items off a seller. A week later the items still weren't marked as sent. I know some sellers don't always do this so I thought I would message the seller to see if said items have been posted. Got no reply but two days later I get a refund.

I'm really torn if I should let it go or leave neutral/negative feedback. I have noticed a few other people have left negative feedback for the seller basically stating the same experience I had.

If I got a reply and some reasonable explanation I would let it go for sure but considering I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.... I don't know.

Just curious what the general consensus is.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Refund with no explanation

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If in doubt don't leave any feedback.

It is pretty poor form on the seller's part not to answer messages but who knows what has happened to them and you have your refund with no hassles.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I know it could of been something serious and they weren't in a position to contact me but as I see they are still selling and I also noted that one person left feedback that the person moved house and lost the items. I'm assuming that might have happened with my items.

As a regular buyer and seller on Ebay I'm big on communication. So that's what really irked me the most.

I think I'll just let it go.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Out of interest, did they put in a cancellation request?  I'm guessing not?

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I would leave a neutral. The lack of communication is not good enough. The seller managed to get on the internet and do a refund, so they could have sent a quick explanation by msg to buyer, if they had a genuine reason.

If they have done this to others and are still doing it, then they need to lift their game and stop mucking buyers around.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

Out of interest, did they put in a cancellation request?  I'm guessing not?

No cancellation request.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I notice you have been given different advice and that is fine, we don't all see things the same way.

But here are my thoughts.

I would be inclined to leave a negative, or failing that, a neutral.

I would not leave it as no feedback.

Here is why.

I don't believe in making excuses for bad sellers, as in who knows what happened etc

This seller had the time to make the listing, he had to time to issue you a refund.

BUT he let things slide for a week till you hassled him with a query, he never bothered to reply to you, he never bothered to send a message off his own bat to explain anything and he took over a week to even bother with the refund. Plus you say he has done it before.

Enough of this nonsense and mucking people around. The lack of communication is monumental. I personally would give him the red dot, a factual statement as to why, then ding his star rating with communication.

I am not one of those buyers who goes around giving neutrals or negs lightly, by the way. I don't think I have ever given a neutral in my life, even though several would have been well deserved.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I agree with Springy. Negative and dinged stars. Too many sellers are getting away with poor service because people don't want to make a fuss. If he had a valid excuse, like illness or something else, then he could have messaged you when he sent the refund.

I too am not one for dishing out negs lightly. I have only ever given 1 neg in my life and never a neutral. There are times though where bad sellers need to be taken to task, especially if he is a repeat offender.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

My take on it is that if the buyer needs to come to the boards to ask for opinions about what feedback to leave then they don't feel all that strongly about the transaction that it is worthy of a negative.

As far as lack of communication goes, the ebay message system is notoriously unreliable and at present seems to be going through a bad time.....I have had several messages go MIA.

But as springy says....we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I don't think I have ever left a neutral and only one negative (item was smaller than measurements in listing and a fake,seller was naru'ed not long after) in 12 years. As I posted above, I would be leaving a neutral fb at least.

A neutral has the same weight as a negative now, as far as seller defects are concerned. I suppose a neg is more noticeable with the red dot, but that is about the only difference.

There isn't any excuse for this sellers delays  and non communication. Bit unlikely he was unable to send a message to the buyer for over 7 days. The seller gets the buyers personal email address as well, so the ebay msg system possibly playing up doesn't wash for an excuse for no communication.

The OP asked for opinions (general consensus). up to them now, after reading responses, what action they will take.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply