Refunded items now arrived. Should I have contacted seller or just return items ASAP?

Brought 4 items from same seller back in September.

Items didn't arrive by due delivery date.

Gave it a week (due to COVID)  then opened a case wondering where my items were.

Seller originally asked me to wait a bit longer assuring me that my items had been sent, but I was concerned that items were lost so agreed to wait a short time but not too much longer as I honestly thought they were missing and I wouldn't get them.

eBay found in my favour giving me a refund within 24 hours of seller contact because seller gave eBay an invalid tracking number. This was back in October.

Yesterday, low and behold when I arrived home, the items were waiting for me on my porch. Box damaged in transit but I opened box and none of the items were damaged.

I naturally contacted seller asking if I could repay what was refunded over installments so I can keep items OR if seller wants me to return them. Haven't heard back as this was only yesterday but am wondering if I should have just initiated return to sender as these items have already been refunded to me therefore it's immoral of buyer to keep items that have already been refunded.

I'm just a bit concerned about what the best course of action is if this happens again in the future: Contact seller or just return item?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Refunded items now arrived. Should I have contacted seller or just return items ASAP?

@shyaus_15 wrote:

I'm just a bit concerned about what the best course of action is if this happens again in the future: Contact seller or just return item?

Always contact the seller and let them know what is going on, even if you just refuse delivery or mark the package as return to sender - they will appreciate it, and it can be of benefit to you both.

You can really only RTS a package if it remains unopened, so I would recommend if something similar happens in the future, try to identify the sender of a package before opening it (if you've had any recent refunds for item not received, I mean). 

I occasionally have buyers contact me to advise that they received after being refunded, usually they ask what the best way to return is, or how to repay as the items are still useful to them. Depending on the circumstances, I like to compromise and provide a good discount on the items so that they get a really good price after all the fuss, the buyer is happy with a clear conscience, and my loss turns out to not be so bad afterall. Occasionally I just let them keep it. I don't think either of those two things should be expected, and the seller needs to be the one that offers, if any offer is made at all (i.e. if i were a buyer in that situation, I would not contact them and offer less than what I originally paid, or think that should be on the table, I'm more putting it out there as an example of a mutually beneficial option that can sometimes arise from these situations).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Personally I would repay as delays may not be a seller's fault. Especially during these times.

Even if I had purchased others, I would gift them or resell myself.

Bur asking a seller is always good form.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

@shyaus_15 wrote:

I naturally contacted seller asking if I could repay what was refunded over installments so I can keep items OR if seller wants me to return them. Haven't heard back as this was only yesterday but am wondering if I should have just initiated return to sender as these items have already been refunded to me therefore it's immoral of buyer to keep items that have already been refunded.

If the seller wants them returned then you should be prepared to pay for the return with tracking to them, but if the seller says you can keep them then you should not be thinking of paying them back in installments - your refund wasn't paid back in installments, so any repayment by you should be paid in full in one payment.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@shyaus_15 wrote:

Always contact the seller and let them know what is going on, even if you just refuse delivery or mark the package as return to sender - they will appreciate it, and it can be of benefit to you both.

You can really only RTS a package if it remains unopened, so I would recommend if something similar happens in the future, try to identify the sender of a package before opening it (if you've had any recent refunds for item not received, I mean). 

I occasionally have buyers contact me to advise that they received after being refunded, usually they ask what the best way to return is, or how to repay as the items are still useful to them. Depending on the circumstances, I like to compromise and provide a good discount on the items so that they get a really good price after all the fuss, the buyer is happy with a clear conscience, and my loss turns out to not be so bad afterall. Occasionally I just let them keep it. I don't think either of those two things should be expected, and the seller needs to be the one that offers, if any offer is made at all (i.e. if i were a buyer in that situation, I would not contact them and offer less than what I originally paid, or think that should be on the table, I'm more putting it out there as an example of a mutually beneficial option that can sometimes arise from these situations).

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I think that is a great answer.

It's a tricky situation in some ways with potentially no winners.

For a buyer, it may be that items arrive well after they were needed or it could be the buyer has bought others to replace what didn't arrive.

And for the seller, they have done the best they could, posting the items and making a full refund and they are out of pocket.

To me, the first thing, as you said, is to contact the seller, to see what they would like to happen next. Then take it from there.

And as you also mentioned, so much depends on circumstances. And to some extent, perhaps on the cost of the item or return postage.

As a buyer, I would contact the seller. If they were items I still wanted or needed, I would just offer to repay the original price for them.

If I were the seller, I would be asking the buyer if they still wanted the items or if they wished to return them and depending on the cost, perhaps offering to pay the return postage. I'd do that because the buyer was honest where to be perfectly frank, a lot of other people would just say nothing. And because if the item was something they no longer needed or had bought replacements for, it wasn't their fault it arrived late and they shouldn't be up for return postage.

In this case, I am getting the impression shyaus is prepared to keep the items but not desperate for them. In his case, I would wait a few days to see if he gets a reply from the seller.

Ideally, a seller should be refunded in full but again, this is a tricky situation. We haven't been told the cost of the items. At the time they were bought, shyaus had obviously budgeted for them but arriving unexpectedly as they have and with Christmas almost upon us, he may not have all the spare cash right at this moment. I think if I were the seller, I'd accept a payment by installments, anything back is better than nothing.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

In this situation I have repaid the seller the full amount via paypal, then sent them an email with the good news. Most times I've already received a replacement item but it has always been something I can use.

Contacting the seller before repaying them or returning the goods has never crossed my mind.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

You've done that because it has been something you could still use. A lot will depend on the individual buyer's situation, whether they still need it or want it etc. If return postage is quite expensive, that's another issue, because although a buyer pays for postage for change of mind, this isn't change of mind. The buyer would have kept the item if it had arrived in time. A bit of give and take might be called for, depending on the situation.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@paper-jack wrote:

In this situation I have repaid the seller the full amount via paypal, then sent them an email with the good news. Most times I've already received a replacement item but it has always been something I can use.

Contacting the seller before repaying them or returning the goods has never crossed my mind.

It's currently very difficult (or impossible) to re-pay sellers on ebay, either because their PayPal address is obscured to the point of being impossible to find, or because they are on managed payments, in which case the only way to send them money again without contacting them is to buy another item. 

In some cases the seller may have even already received compensation from Australia Post, too, so contacting them and asking what the best way to proceed (as well as indicating your preference for keeping or returning the order), is always recommended. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Returning items to my way of thinking is a real pain.

When this had happened to me I have always repaid the seller and sent them a message to let them know the money is coming.

It's good news all round IMO. 🙂

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

"If the seller wants them returned then you should be prepared to pay for the return with tracking to them", Why should the buyer pay return postage for something that was lost in the ost then turned up, but by then the buyers circumstances changed and they didn't need the item? If this were retail it would be the shops problem, NOT the buyers. Also, paying back by installments is when you initially purchase the item using Paypal, or afterpay, pay buy installments and therefore can not pay in a lump sum (and no the buyer did NOT get refunded in a lump sum, they would only have got their partial payment back.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply