Refunded items now arrived. Should I have contacted seller or just return items ASAP?

Brought 4 items from same seller back in September.

Items didn't arrive by due delivery date.

Gave it a week (due to COVID)  then opened a case wondering where my items were.

Seller originally asked me to wait a bit longer assuring me that my items had been sent, but I was concerned that items were lost so agreed to wait a short time but not too much longer as I honestly thought they were missing and I wouldn't get them.

eBay found in my favour giving me a refund within 24 hours of seller contact because seller gave eBay an invalid tracking number. This was back in October.

Yesterday, low and behold when I arrived home, the items were waiting for me on my porch. Box damaged in transit but I opened box and none of the items were damaged.

I naturally contacted seller asking if I could repay what was refunded over installments so I can keep items OR if seller wants me to return them. Haven't heard back as this was only yesterday but am wondering if I should have just initiated return to sender as these items have already been refunded to me therefore it's immoral of buyer to keep items that have already been refunded.

I'm just a bit concerned about what the best course of action is if this happens again in the future: Contact seller or just return item?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Refunded items now arrived. Should I have contacted seller or just return items ASAP?

Old thread. We usually try to keep to topics from the last 12 months but I am not sure you noticed the dates on it.

I agree, if an item arrives very late, after a refund has been given, then it is not up to the buyer to pay return postage. They may have been inconvenienced by the whole episode, they may have had to go buy another item from elsewhere. 

It's certainly not their responsibility to be out of pocket by returning the item and paying to do so.

In fact, I know of several people who have received an item quite late and said nothing at all, just kept it.

I'd suggest a middle path would be the right way to go. Inform the seller and if they want the item back, give them the opportunity to send a postage label.

On the other hand, if the buyer still wanted the item, inform the seller and arrange to transfer a payment.

I think if I were the seller in this case, I'd probably be so pleased the buyer was honest that I'd settle for payment of the item only and deduct the separate postage cost (if there was one) because it arrived so late.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

pixie-six
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Due to the age of this thread and the information being outdated, it has now been locked. If you would like to continue this discussion, we encourage you to start a new topic for discussion! 

Thanks for keeping the community a safe and friendly place for everyone! 

Community Moderator - @pixie-six 

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply