Registered post delivered to someone else

Hey guys

Thought it worthwhile sharing this story, the latest in what I see on these forums is a long line of mistakes made by various postal agencies here and abroad.

Note that AP are currently investigating my claim, and I await the outcome of that investigation before deciding my next move, whether it be the ombudsman, a solicitor and/or VCAT.

I purchased an expensive camera ($2700) from a seller before Christmas (12th December). I requested that the seller provide me with insurance and registered post for the item.

Since that time, the item has been missing in action- the seller has not responded to my emails and I opened a dispute with Paypal. Paypal investigated, and found in the seller's favour because she was able to provide them with a tracking number that shows the item was delivered. I had been requesting this information from the seller for some time however she would only supply it to Paypal. Paypal provided me with the tracking information from the seller, and I was able to confirm through the Australia Post website the the item was indeed delivered.

Headed down to the AP outlet to check that the item was there as I had not received a note in the mailbox- customer service rep informed me that the item had been delivered and was signed for by someone called "M Harris'. Clearly not me! This confused both the AP customer servioce rep and me when I showed her my drivers licence (with signature) that is not in the name of M Harris.

At this point, AP have not stated where the item was delivered, why it was delivered to and signed for by someone who is not me, nor can they tell me of the seller had paid for the insurance that I requested (and paid extra for) during the transaction.

So far I have learnt:

1- Buyer protection from paypal only works if they are able to claim to refund from the buyer- in this case, because they can see the item was delivered to my suburb, they are satisfied that the seller is not at fault (regardless of whether she has put the correct address on the parcel, or if she paid for the insurance that I requested) and regardless of whether I have actually received the item. In effect is it not buyer protection at all

2- that someone with a different name is able to sign for post that is registered to someone else

3- that AP will not provide me with a copy of the signature for 'M Harris' that they have on file- they requested (and I provided) a copy of my signature, I assume so they can compare the handwriting to establish that it is not mine

4- that AP cannot, or are unwilling to, provide me with insurance details for the item that was sent.

I eagerly await the result of the AP investigation and will keep people informed of the outcome. Hopefully there are some leassons we can all learn out of this!

Message 1 of 376
Latest reply
375 REPLIES 375

Re: Registered post delivered to someone else

@imastawka wrote:

Late nights.  Probably still snoozin.  

or

Hmmmm Stawka, both sound feasable...............................

(lazy blighter......................original.gif)

(slips slinkily away...............................................................)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 371 of 376
Latest reply

@knine-1 wrote:

I also think AP needs to be held accountable for releasing info about an innocent party

That actually breaches the Privacy Act for AP to provide signature information to anyone other than the sender who holds the delivery contract. The addressee isn't AP's customer and the quoting of a tracking number without confirmation from the sender that they are in fact the rightful addressee, AP had no right to provide this information.

Had the OP been of lesser character and the letter contained the next supply of methamphetimine and because of AP releasing signature details, the addressee attends the Harris's and shoots someone dead, AP has just caused the death of an innocent person. On a lesser scale, an innocent person who didn't get the letter could receive a frightening experience by a door knocker demanding the letter as their name and initials match that of AP's advice........no a good situation at all.

That's what I was saying.

*proud lookin"

Well, I said nothing about drugs and bullets, I was talking scarves and cricket bats, but it is sort of the same.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 372 of 376
Latest reply

@padi.0409.0409 wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

bang head.gif

and VEnom - You're welcome, there are a whole heap of toys and things up the top there...

twirl.gif

STOP playing with the paper Crikey and make some more chains.......................original.gif

so many openings, too tired and sick to type one LOLOL (or make what sounds good in my head sound good when I write it, anyway,, LOLOL

Message 373 of 376
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Late nights.  Probably still snoozin.  

or

brain fart.gif

well, yeah, not sleeping much atm LOL... I'm going to have to retire, this bloody work shennanigans is getting in the way of my eBaying.... How am I gonna cope when I go back to school?

My husband is spraypainting my bar fridge red (so that it matches the mighty viper AND my new kettle) as I type, so I can set up my tea and coffee stuff here in my office for when I start back school LOL. I don't even have time to go to the kitchen for a coffee FGS!

Message 374 of 376
Latest reply

You'll be fine and you know it.  If you want something done always ask a busy person.

In the meantime:

Message 375 of 376
Latest reply

I saw a quote by Bill Gates the other day (well it was attributed to him anyway) and it said something like "if I want something done, I always get a lazy person to do it because they will find the quickest and easiest way"  LOL

This proves I am not a lazy person because if there is a hard way to do something, I will always find that way....

*sigh*

If I told my father I didn't have enough time, he would have said "there are 24 hours in a day", or "Einstein had exactly the same amount of hours in a day as you do, so if he can acheive greatness, you have plenty of time to be ordinary.

Message 376 of 376
Latest reply