Returning INAD but seller is overseas for another 3 weeks

I bought a laptop which was not as described. It was quite expensive (~$1600).  I messaged the seller and they would allow a return but said that I would need to wait until after they're back since they're in the US till January 21 2022. The laptop was delivered to me on December 21 2021 (coincidence?) The seller said he has a friend who is back from holiday on January 14 who could receive the laptop on behalf of them, but has now said they are coming back after the seller and I would need to post the laptop to arrive after January 21 2022. What should I do? Something doesn't feel right. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Returning INAD but seller is overseas for another 3 weeks

Firstly, never return an item that is not as described at your expense.

What you need to do is open a case for Not as Described. This will put the onus back on the seller and they have pretty much 2 options.

1) Since they are not in Australia, they cannot issue you with a shipping label. They will need to send you the return postage cost separately if they want the item back. 

2) The other option is for them to refund.

What they are trying to do is make you wait beyond the 30 day window from receipt of the item so that you cannot open a case.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@theypullmebackin wrote:

I bought a laptop which was not as described. It was quite expensive (~$1600).  I messaged the seller and they would allow a return but said that I would need to wait until after they're back since they're in the US till January 21 2022. The laptop was delivered to me on December 21 2021 (coincidence?) The seller said he has a friend who is back from holiday on January 14 who could receive the laptop on behalf of them, but has now said they are coming back after the seller and I would need to post the laptop to arrive after January 21 2022. What should I do? Something doesn't feel right. 

Open a case for item not as described.

The seller has been able to message you so they can certainly send a return label.

Ignore the seller & follow through with the case.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

jelly,

Why can't the seller issue a label?

It would appear that they are an oz seller.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The seller's dilemma (if there really is one) is not your worry.

Do as the others suggest and follow through with an ebay claim.

Read up on how to do it and don't close it on the seller's say so.

Away on holiday in the US? Sort of unlikely, but even if he is over there on business, then if he's a businessman you would assume he has something in place for mail collection.

Don't go returning that laptop to anyone or any address other than that of the sender. It sounds as if that is what he might be trying to set up. Don't fall for it.

I don't see why the seller can't issue a return postage label if he is an Australian based seller. You should not pay for return postage either.

Open an ebay claim, follow through, get your refund.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

1)- Go into your eBay and open a Item Not As Described case.

2)- Write as much as possible to describe WHY it is not as described! 
3) - Stop communicating with the seller. Let eBay do that now.

4)- It is possible that the seller will try and tell you to close the case, or make promises of refunds if you close the case DON’T LISTEN TO THE SELLER. DO NOT CLOSE THE CASE. 

5)- Once you open the case, it will tell you how many days they will give the seller to respond. Once that has passed, and if the seller hasn’t responded, you can escalate the claim with eBay and eBay will step in and take over. Chances are, you will get a refund then. … but you must follow the process.

6)- IF the seller sends you a return postage label, and you send the laptop back, make sure you post it over the counter at the post office! Get a receipt that includes weight, time and date and tracking number. That’s YOUR PROOF that you’ve sent it back. 

7)- I REPEAT:  Stop communicating with the seller. Open the INAD case. 

come back if you have any more Q? 💋

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Further to Jane's :

Under no circumstance - even if supplied with a return label - do not close the case.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

jelly,

Why can't the seller issue a label?

It would appear that they are an oz seller.

My error - I misread it to mean they are a US seller. The procedure still stands - in this case, they can issue a label if they want it back. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply