SCAM - Chinese sellers misrepresenting item location - Equick

So here is the latest 'SCAM' many Chinese sellers are now using in their listings to convince you to buy from them as their stock is supposedly located in Australia and you will get the goods quicker.

'AU STOCK' is big and bold in their listing heading.

In fact the item is in China and they use a re-fullfilment service called Equick.cn who consolidate many sellers parcels on a daily basis and ship them to Sydney. Equick then despatch them using Australia Post from their warehouse in Botany.

Around 4-5 days after you make your purchase you finally receive the tracking advice from Australia Post, which makes you think the items are in Australia, but in fact they have not even left China.  Around 10-14 days later you finally receive the goods.

This activity is clearly misleading and a breach of eBay's 'misrepresenting item location' rules and needs to be stopped.

Message 1 of 252
Latest reply
251 REPLIES 251

While not exactly a "SCAM" if you beleive the seller is indeed misrepresenting the loscation, report them to eBay.

With millions of listings worldwide, eBay can not possibly police all of them, so reporting is the way to go to bring thier attention to these sellers.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 252
Latest reply

How many life saving things do you buy on Ebay? I don't get the 'I have to have it quickly" mentality.

Go down the road and buy it from a store if it is that time sensitive. (But then you would have to pay more, wouldn't you?)

And it is not a scam if you are receiving what you pay for, albeit, a little later than you expected it.

Message 3 of 252
Latest reply

If there lying about there location then there scaming, is there any other way to look at it?

Simply there trying to fool you / us.Smiley Happy

Maybe that'a aceptable to you it's certainly not to me.Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 252
Latest reply

It is fraud and not acceptable at all.

If the item is faulty or breaks you have no recourse under Oz law. Paypal buyer protection is limited.
Message 5 of 252
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

While not exactly a "SCAM" if you believe the seller is indeed misrepresenting the location, report them to eBay.

With millions of listings worldwide, eBay can not possibly police all of them, so reporting is the way to go to bring their attention to these sellers.

It's an extremely common practice for Asian sellers to claim the item is "located in Australia".  And which ever way you look at it, it IS a scam, and a breach of eBay's seller terms and conditions.  I've seen this scenario repeated literally thousands of time on eBay Australia.

But don't waste your time reporting it to eBay.  Firstly, they don't really care—why should they—they don't wanna turn away any sales, regardless of seller breaches.  And let's face it; contrary to what you suggest, eBay doesn't "police" any seller advertisements.  That's obvious from the massive amount of breaches you'll see each and every day in the listings.

—G.

Message 6 of 252
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

With millions of listings worldwide, eBay can not possibly police all of them,

Nor do they probably want to Cat, particularly if the Seller/s involved are those big overseas mobs that eBay actually want as Sellers instead of those filthy, despicable small Australian Sellers that make eBay Senior Management want to wash in Domestos whenever they are forced to remember they exist  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 252
Latest reply

Unfortunately, many a true word has been spoken in jest.
Message 8 of 252
Latest reply

@ausgeoff1946 wrote:

@2106greencat wrote:

While not exactly a "SCAM" if you believe the seller is indeed misrepresenting the location, report them to eBay.

With millions of listings worldwide, eBay can not possibly police all of them, so reporting is the way to go to bring their attention to these sellers.

It's an extremely common practice for Asian sellers to claim the item is "located in Australia".  And which ever way you look at it, it IS a scam, and a breach of eBay's seller terms and conditions.  I've seen this scenario repeated literally thousands of time on eBay Australia.

But don't waste your time reporting it to eBay.  Firstly, they don't really care—why should they—they don't wanna turn away any sales, regardless of seller breaches.  And let's face it; contrary to what you suggest, eBay doesn't "police" any seller advertisements.  That's obvious from the massive amount of breaches you'll see each and every day in the listings.

—G.

Thank you for clearing that up.......but I must have missed the part where you offered advice?

Other than reporting to eBay, what else would you suggest ( all due respect and all that)

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 9 of 252
Latest reply

Yes, we recently got burnt with a faulty item, supposedly shipped from Sydney, then when we won a Paypal dispute, found that we could only get compensated by returning the item to China at our cost, which would have eaten 75% of the refund. No said Paypal, it must be sent over to China as that is the registered address they have for the seller. Yes, FRAUD, FRAUD and more FRAUD, and is anything being done about it.....of course not. We binned the item and wore the $140 purchase price, but last time they will catch us.

Message 10 of 252
Latest reply