SCAM Warning

tmn_9884
Community Member

Have just received a potential scam phone call on my mobile telling me that monies where going to be charged to my card when I haven't placed any order. If I didn't approved, I was to call them back. Some one is clearly hacking Ebay or using Ebay and its information from personal information collected from either Ebay or another source. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

SCAM Warning

@tmn_9884 wrote:

Some one is clearly hacking Ebay or using Ebay and its information from personal information collected from either Ebay or another source. 

Probably not in fact almost certainly not, there are plenty of scammers out there that prey on gullible people, they will try saying it's an eBay problem, a Telstra problem or other banking problem etc etc, hoping that person will fall for the scam.

Read some of the other threads on the boards for scams.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Yesterday morning alone, I had 3 purporting to be from Amazon, telling me I've been charged for an iPhone (twice) and a subscription to Amazon Prime.

Wot a larf.

Can't block them cos they use a different number every time.

Hang up immediately and I hope you didn't do what they said.

Never press 1

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

Yep Stawks, I've had 5 in the last couple of days, the first one was rabbiting on about "internet cancellation" 2 of the rest hung up when I didn't say anything and the other 2 I let ring out.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

Always check your eBay messages. Ebay doesn't just make unexpected phone calls. They also send a message to authenticate phone calls.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/account/protecting-account/recognising-phishing-phone-calls-emails?id=4...

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

My favourite ones are the ones where they have an arrest warrant out for me, for unpaid ATO bills

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

I ignore all calls from any number that is not in my contacts. 

Having said that, I do get a lot of messages left in Chinese on my voicemail. There's a scam going around which threatens the victim with being reported to the "authorities" for some made up reason if they don't call back and comply.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

@tmn_9884 wrote:

Have just received a potential scam phone call on my mobile telling me that monies where going to be charged to my card when I haven't placed any order. If I didn't approved, I was to call them back. Some one is clearly hacking Ebay or using Ebay and its information from personal information collected from either Ebay or another source. 

NO, it is called โ€œCold Callingโ€.

They just call any mobile phone numbers knowing that many people will have eBay, PayPal, Amazon and/or Telstra accounts.  I know a cold call about my โ€œamazon accountโ€ is BS because I donโ€™t have an amazon account.

Also, most Australian adults do their taxes and, therefore, have dealings with the Australian Tax Office.

Many scammers also try it on with the major banks.  They might send out 10,000 spam/phishing emails supposedly from the NAB and only need one or two to fall for it to be worthwhile.  Itโ€™s not like the old days in that it costs virtually nothing to send out thousands of emails.

The aim is to do or say something that makes you โ€˜press 1โ€™ on a recorded message call, or, call them back on a number they provide to you.  Do that and you will have enabled the scam, not eBay.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

SCAM Warning

Don't engage with scammers.

Don't confirm any information if you can avoid it.

Don't say "yes" to anything they ask.

Don't press anything they tell you to press.

Don't explain your reasons for not listening or replying.

E.G.

"Hello, I'm calling from [gobbledygood]. Am I speaking with [your name]?"

You: "Can I ask who is calling?"

"I am calling from [gobbledygood]. We are conducting a survey/offering solar roof panels/sending you an iPhone/charging you for blah blah/going to arrest you for tax evasion/closing your Amazon account unless you blah blah/etc. Can you confirm that your name is [your name]?"

You: "I am not interested. Goodbye."

HANG UP.

If you are genuinely concerned that the call might be genuine, confirm absolutely nothing but tell them to send a letter to the registered address. Like this: "I am not confirming any details. Please send appropriate communication to the registered address. Goodbye."

HANG UP.

Alternatively, confirm absolutely nothing but just note down the business name / organisation name and call them directly with the genuine phone number for customer service. Like this: "I am not confirming any details. I am hanging up now and will phone the company directly. Goodbye."

HANG UP.

Google the company/business name to get the genuine phone number if you don't already know it. Phone them. Explain that you just received a call purporting to be from them. Go through the whole rigmarole of explaining who you are and what the call might have been in relation to.

But do not - do not - DO NOT get any information from the cold caller/scammer, even if you think it will help you to cut to the chase. Don't get an account number or reference number. There is far too great a risk that you will inadvertently confirm or communicate additional personal details to the scammer. You can always get account numbers and reference numbers from the genuine company directly, even if it is convoluted.

Basic truth when it comes to engaging with scammers: the longer you engage, the more chance that you will give something away.

Second basic truth when it comes to engaging with scammers: never confirm anything to a cold caller. Not even your name.

Third basic truth when it comes to engaging with scammers: the word "yes" can be recorded in your voice, and used for access purposes. This is not such a big deal here in Australia at this time, but in the UK, for instance, it's already an issue. (Voiceprint access to accounts.) Avoid saying the word "yes". Don't answer the phone with "Yes?" or say something like "Yes, speaking." Answer with "Hello" or something of that sort... or even with "How may I direct your call?" Never answer a question by the cold caller; just turn it around with your own question if you're unsure. Don't be afraid to refuse to answer or to segue politely.

E.G.

Scammer or Cold Caller: "Is this [your name]?"

You: "Who is this speaking?" or similar

Scammer or Cold Caller: "This is blah blah. Is this [your name]/Can you confirm that you are [your name]?"

You: "I'm not interested. Goodbye."

Scammer or Cold Caller:: "But blah blah blah blah"

----- Nothing further. You've already hung up. It's not rude; you clearly indicated that you were not interested and that you were ending the conversation. Don't let the cold caller/scammer lure you into a longer conversation.

(Also... don't be lured into shouting, mocking, insulting, swearing, etc. Do you really want a person who has your phone number to become enraged and to pass on your details for a relentless surge of mass phoning? No, you do not. Disengage - without any further conversation.)

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply