SCAM alert - Sellers posting Kmart items at inflated prices

People,

I got scammed - I purchased a hallway table with free delivery for $65. Yesterday I received a parcel FROM  KMART directly, it was this table. I go and check the Kmart website - the item is for sale online for $30.

This is it: http://www.kmart.com.au/product/black-hallway-table/124214

The seller didn't even bother to have the goods delivered to himself and then to me - shameless scammer.

Since the overall damage is just $25 (Kmart delivery fee is $10), I reported the seller to eBay and I left negative feedback.

While for electronics it is easier to check pricing online, for furniture it is much more complex.

Note that a lot of people are selling the exact same item for hugely inflated prices ($65 was the cheapest on eBay when I bought it). I am sure they are playing the same game with a lot of other stuff.

Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Congratulations.....you have probably been put on a lot of seller's Blocked Bidders Lists.

You have not been scammed.   You knew the price of the item when you bought it and were happy with it.

Was the item as described?  Was it delivered in a timely manner? 

How is that a scam?

That table is for sale from a number of ebay sellers and for a lot more than you were charged.  I suspect they did not all buy the tables from K-Mart so they must be for sale from other outlets.  Sellers are not obliged to disclose where they get their stock and it is an unbranded item (according to all the listings I looked at).  All sellers are entitled to make a profit on their items....I think you will find that other sellers who have that table listed are making way more profit than your seller.

It is the same with most items on ebay....sellers list with the aim of making a profit.  In fact that is the aim of any business

You were not forced to buy on ebay....you could have gone to the local shops and bought a table.

It was a lousy thing to do to leave negative feedback for the seller just because you don't like where he gets his stock.

Message 2 of 130
Latest reply

More like you failed to do your research adequately before buying.

I'm sure everyone has bought something that's gone on sale the next day, bought something then seen the same for less the next day, it's called luck. You admitted you bought the cheapest one on eBay. You obviously didn't shop around anywhere else or go looking in any shops.

You've not been scammed. I'd say there's also a good chance the seller will have the negative removed by eBay too. If the seller offers change of mind returns you could pay postage to return it but you'd also lose the postage you paid to get it. Probably cost more than it's worth.
Message 3 of 130
Latest reply

It is a scam. Selling an item for $65 to just then enter the order on the Kmart website is fraud. Tell me what added value worth $25 the seller would have provided. Read carefully what happened, I received the parcel from K-Mart directly, not from the seller.

Message 4 of 130
Latest reply

If the buyer ordered from Kmart to then post it on to you it is not a scam, it is called dropshipping, and perfectly legit, many sellers do it. You cannot blame the seller if you did not do your research beforehand. It was you who decided that the item was worth the money and did not look around to see if you could get it elsewhere cheaper - or directly from Kmart.

It is not a scam, probably not the best business practice as it is obvious where it came from, but not a scam.

Latest reply

Sorry but eBay agrees with me - they are investigating the seller as they don't consider this practice acceptable.

YOU MUST "EARN" EVERY DOLLAR by providing some sort of service. Otherwise, it is automatically a scam.

And PLEASE let's stop blaming the victim - since this has become a national sport lately.

Message 6 of 130
Latest reply

Maybe would should also outlaw other types of brokers as they don't earn their income either. I could try to explain business principles to you but I don't think you would even try to understand so I won't bother.  

Latest reply

And I could try to explain to you that you cannot do dropship with a retailer, but only with a wholesaler, but I would waste my time as well.

You can steal money or earn it honestly. And I can assure you eBay will take care of this.

Message 8 of 130
Latest reply

I'm sorry but if the retailer has an online store then it is 100% allowed to dropship from them.

Message 9 of 130
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

There are 8 sellers selling this same table and the highest price is $94,(they have sold 19 of them):

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Black+Hallway+Table&_sacat=0

The others have sold 75 of them between them,(with your seller being the cheapest).

The other two were sold in Oct and Feb and there are more sold by the sellers with the higher priced items,

(one has sold 16 items this year),shok.gif

So eBay isn't going to shut down something that is making them a bit of money in fees,(ethics isn't

something that they believe in).

Message 10 of 130
Latest reply