SELLER LISTS AS FREE POSTAGE THEN CHARGES TO COVER PERSONAL LOSSES

I had recently won an eBay auction for 99c it was a DVD (not bluray) it was listed as free postage an I placed a bid few hours before auction end, the next day I checked eBay and had won it when I went to pay the seller has changed invoice to $10 postage an no free post option without even contacting me.so I contacted 3times and 1 week later they replied with this.

Sorry for not getting back to you but i went to post it and the postage is like $10 i mean thats a huge amount for a dvd that your getting for only $1 so i wanted to cover the costs a little not totally but just a little i didnt know it was going to be that expensive i thought it was only going to be about $5-8. If you dont wnat to buy this i will understand and cancel the order.

So I msged back that its their fault for not checking first and very rude they actually didn't let me know it was changed. And that you can send a dvd for $1.40 in aus as large lettet. So I left negative feedback as it was a legitimate reason. This was it's reply.

you are a disgusting human being I cancelled the order so that you didn't have to pay for anything and you leave me negative feedback I tried to be as civil as possible and explain to you that it was very expensive in postage you were getting a $50 dvd not available in Australia for one dollar ONE **bleep**ING DOLL,AR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YOU COMPLAIN THAT I CHARGED YOU A LITTLE MORE **bleep** YOU YOU ARE A DISGUSTING PIECE OF FILTH ROT IN HELL

Was the seller in the wrong for doing this? By the way the DVD is monster. It retails in Kmart Sydney for $6.50 sealed.
Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: SELLER LISTS AS FREE POSTAGE THEN CHARGES TO COVER PERSONAL LOSSES

You are under no obligation to pay any more than the advertised or winning amount.

The seller has done the wrong thing here.

You are well within your rights to leave feedback to warn others seller adds costs on low price auctions if they are not happy with the end price.

You can and should report that message to ebay as well.

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

In anyone's book that reply is abusive, and agaist eBay policy, but don't hold your breath that eBay will take any action against the seller if/when you report it to them.

The next time I see eBay actually doing something positive to deal with rougue eBayers will be the first time. The policies are worth a pinch of the brown stuff.

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

Correction to typo...

AREN'T worth a pinch of the brown stuff.

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

That's what I thought, and yes I don't believe eBay will do anything anyway. Just checked my eBay and same seller is now bidding on my items so I've canceled them and blocked them. Thanks for the replies. Nicole.
Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Good move to block them.

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

Just be careful as some rogue buyers attempt to bid/buy through a secondary account or a family member account.

Unfortunately so many sellers still start their listing at 99c even though the value to them is much higher.  I do hope after reporting the message that ebay take action.  You might get a better response by phoning ebay and asking for a call-back and make sure you direct ebay customer support to the abusive message.

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

Although Joe doesn't understand the need, this is a classic reason to use different IDs for buying and selling.

Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

Good move to block them as I think it is pretty obvious they had it in mind to neg you back if they could.

I know you say they could post a DVD as a large letter at $1.40, but you can probably see here that even at $1.40 they would actually be paying for the privilege of giving their DVD away. Plus posting without tracking is risky anyway. For all they know, you might claim not received and get your money back.

They are totally in the wrong on a number of levels-not only their rude replies but also the fact they changed the invoice without warning you. Plus the fact they listed this item as free postage in the first place.

Your negative feedback was warranted & hopefully they will have learnt a lesson about listing things on ebay.

But.. I don't blame the sellers for not following through on the sale. Once upon a time I would have but I think ebay encourages these 99c sales 'to generate interest', they encourage a free post listing, people follow the suggestions and fall in a hole.

It's unrealistic to expect a seller to pay $10 postage (presumably with tracking) out of their own pocket for item they 'sold' for 99c.

I think they should just have cancelled the sale, told you why & politely apologised for their mistake.

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

and this is the classic reason that if people only had 1   1d you could block them   but because they can have lots of ids   ,blocking is a waste of time. they just use another id  and you wont know whos bidding. ,   

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply