Scam

I have just received 2 phone calls from a scammer pretending to be from eBay.  Apparently I have purchased iPhones and they want my account details to refund the money. BEWARE

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Scam

I don't pick up any number I don't recognise or isn't in my contacts. If it's genuine, they'll leave a message.

Most people on these boards are fortunately aware of these scams.

If you've answered the call, the scammers now know it's an active number and you'll probably get more of them.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

Yes indeed, been going for many many years as you can see by the hundreds of comments on here about it

The scammers pretend to be form all kinds of places

I hope you did not press 1 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

robbole
Community Member

Phone scams are so common now that I do not answer calls from unknown numbers. If it was something genuine they could leave a voice message or an sms explaining why they called. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

I only have a landline (cordless phone for which the leaving messages option has never worked).  Unfortunately I have to answer unknown numbers in case it is from a govt department I am currently in conversation with (and that includes 'withheld', interstate and staff mobile numbers....sigh). 

However, I don't have a mobile phone and am not interested in buying one so I just laugh and hang up.  I make note of the number and if they ring a few more times I then save the number under SCAM which will come up if they phone again.  There's an 'Issue with your NBN' number that I've had fun deleting at the first ring since I added it to my phonelist. 🙂

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

You can get a half decent cordless phone for less than $50 from Big W or Officeworks. I got a Uniden one for Christmas last year (at my request, after not having a phone hooked up to the landline for 15 years). It works a treat, has caller ID and a message service that actually works. I don't answer unless I'm on call because no one apart from the phone book has had that number for umpteen years.

As for a mobile, a lot feel the same way about having one. However, you can get a very basic dumb phone for around $20. Pretty much the same as your landline, but you can take it out with you, should you venture out. They are pre paid, so you only have to recharge when you think you might want to use it. I am with Woolies mobile and they have a prepaid option where the the calls and data are valid for 6 months. From memory, it's around $60. Other carriers may have similar deals. Plus, if you shop at Woollies, you get 10% of your groceries once a month.

My elderly mother bit the bullet and got a basic dumb phone and she's glad she did.

Laughing into the phone, or blowing a whistle or whatever people choose to do, doesn't stop them. It tells them that the line is active and someone will answer. Very few people have my mum's mobile number, but she gives it to those similar to you. That way, the scammers are limited to her landline and if it comes up as an unknown number, she doesn't answer it.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

I was like you for years, relied on the home phone  and only had the most basic old mobile but luckily a couple of years back I switched to a modern mobile with internet capability. I am in Melbourne and life would be a lot more difficult without it.

I did see an older woman once at K mart, showing her printd vaccination certificate but the young worker was looking at it doubtfully, as if she didn't know if it would be acceptable or not. Sometimes I wonder about very young staff!

Re the scam calls. I think the best thing is never to act on any phone call information that is asking you to press numbers or reveal personal details. No legitimate organisation, whether it be the bank, the tax department, telstra or ebay etc will be contacting you that way.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

I am housebound due to mobility issues (which were bad enough that I had to retire....and sell my car).  Showing a vaccination certificate is not a big issue as I order online.  However it did take me some time to track down getting a home visit to be vaccinated (and hopefully I'll get the second shot soon as in the new year I've got tasks to be done around the house which means getting tradies in).

Having said that I do get annoyed that sometimes having a mobile phone is the ONLY way to do some things.  Aust Post is a good example - they have my name, address, landline number, two email addresses, MyPost details ....and yet for a few services they insist on a mobile number.  The sheer absurdity of it seems lost on them.  What's next?  A DNA test?

BTW I've never been overseas so I don't have a passport.  My mother is in her 90s and it seems various authorities don't seem bothered that she has no photo ID.  I am in my 60s and no such luck.  So though I no longer drive, taking 'advantage' of Covid and the fact that I would not have to front up for a new licence photo because of social distancing rules (they would use my existing one), I renewed by driver's licence for another 10 years just so I'd have a  photo ID if required.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

My cordless phone is the first I've ever owned (the old phone was a wall mounted standard Telstra phone) and my brother chose it when I came home from hospital.  As it is the only one I've ever had I still don't know much about the options to replace it (it has two handsets which I alternate...with the other on charge).  I'd have to order it online and it is not that simple when there's not much tech info provided about the product.

I see no point in owning a mobile - basic or not - as well as a cordless.  I never leave the house.  I use a pickup walker frame and I have problems with steps and can only stand in one spot for a few minutes before the pain gets unbearable.

My brother has got my mother a mobile phone MANY times but they always end up in a drawer somewhere, forgotten. LOL  I don't yell at scammers....I just hang up.  Many years ago I used to enjoy stringing them along - especially the ones who told me there was 'something wrong with my computer'.  At the earliest calls I didn't even own a computer.  Later when I did and they phoned I tried not to laugh as my computer wasn't connected to the internet.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Scam

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I am housebound due to mobility issues (which were bad enough that I had to retire....and sell my car).  Showing a vaccination certificate is not a big issue as I order online.  However it did take me some time to track down getting a home visit to be vaccinated (and hopefully I'll get the second shot soon as in the new year I've got tasks to be done around the house which means getting tradies in).

Having said that I do get annoyed that sometimes having a mobile phone is the ONLY way to do some things.  Aust Post is a good example - they have my name, address, landline number, two email addresses, MyPost details ....and yet for a few services they insist on a mobile number.  The sheer absurdity of it seems lost on them.  What's next?  A DNA test?.........I renewed by driver's licence for another 10 years just so I'd have a  photo ID if required.

----------------------

Yes, I think it is getting a bit OTT how we are all expected to have a mobile and some sites don't give you an alternative. I was just this afternoon trying to join one site where they insisted on sending an sms verification code (which I might add never came through).

I don't care as I was only joining up so my duaghter would get some bonus but I am a bit over every place expecting we have a mobile as a matter of course.

Your bit about having some trouble booking a vaccination at home brings up another aspect.

I know of someone who is in her 80s and her husband died of covid. She too caught it but is recovering. She was sent home and told to isolate for 14 days.

Now, I ask you! A woman in her 80s, unwell and expected to remain alone.

There's a massive hole in covid planning and it has to do with people who have covid and who are home isolating. There should be some provision to provide at least meals on wheels and health authorities should be contacting them daily to monitor.

I know of one woman (without covid but who had to isolate for 2 weeks) whose car battery was flat when she went to have her test on day 11 or whatever it was. She wasn't supposed to get in the RACV. What is a person like this supposed to do, then?

And you with your mobility issues would not be alone by any means. There are plenty of others who have difficulty getting around and so home vaccinations should be an easy option for those people.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply