Scammed by false tracking number

vladrac28
Community Member
I recently been a victim of a false tracking number for an online order. I’ve seen so many people complain about this very same thing. I made a purchase, received tracking number from the seller and that led me to Orange Connex/SpeedPAK that sent my package to Australia. My package then received a new tracking number when it was then processed by AusPost for delivery. All my online orders before and have this particular order, has always prompted a text message to my phone requesting on how I’d like to receive my package. This would give me the option on the day of delivery, to choose whether I wanted it delivered to my home address or to the post office. Both of these choices would and have required me to sign for it. I did not receive the usual text message.
The tracking information said that my package was delivered to my suburb, which would be ok if I was the only one who lived there, but unfortunately I’d say that over 10,000 people live in my local area. So needless to say I did not receive my package. I did find out that according to both SpeedPAK who delivered my package from China to Australia and AusPost who delivered the package to my suburb, that the address on the package did not match my actual address. I went a step further and told the AusPost representative what I was expecting, a 6 inch Transformer that was made out of plastic and metal, a gift for my daughter. I was told by AusPost that whatever was in that delivery wasn’t what I ordered, as they confirmed that package that was delivered, not to my address, had the weight and size of a standard envelope.
Now you would think that, this would entitle me to a refund, having emails sent to me by SpeedPAK and AusPost that the package that was sent, did not have my address on it. All eBay needed to side with the seller was tracking information which doesn’t even terminate at my address to say case closed. This was approximately $100 item including delivery charge that I did not receive. Case closed even though I have emails from both Couriers saying that tracking number did not have my address on it, still eBay says case closed. So I got scammed and the eBay customer service department allowed it to happen because they are too lazy to do a proper investigation. Money back guarantee what a joke! And so I went to PayPal and they said the same thing no real investigation, tracking information says I got my package, even after I told them I have proof from both couriers in emails they sent saying the package did not go to my address.
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

That's not scammed and it's not a false tracking number.

Looks like the Chinese seller has mixed up your order with someone elses and you got their tracking number.

I would be getting onto the phone to PayPal again and asking for a supervisor.

image host
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

vladrac28
Community Member
That’s the problem, even though I have proof from both delivery companies proving that my address wasn’t the same as what was on the package, both eBay and PayPal have sided with the seller. The only response I got from seller was a copy of the tracking information, nothing else, even when I told them that the address was incorrect. I have sent the seller, eBay and PayPal copies of the email from SpeedPAK and AusPost confirming I did not get what I ordered. So in light of that, with that information they still refused my claim and sided with the seller.
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Is the seller prepared to do anything on their own ?

I assume they will probably see that they have 2 orders mixed around and perhaps even receive the items back.

But maybe they have thousands of items going out to not be apt to picking up the error.

image host
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

vladrac28
Community Member
In the beginning I was prepared to except that it was just a simple mistake that could easily be fix, but when I got to around the 5th or maybe it was the 8th email with the seller, (keeping in mind that the only one response I received was copy of the tracking information) I realised that was it, there was going to be no negotiation with them. I then escalated it to eBay, I think I sent them about 30+ emails, they instantly side with seller. Like I said far as they are concerned the sellers tracking information is good enough. If it was a mix up in packages then I should have at least got someone else’s order, but I got nothing. So yes in the beginning I was optimistic and willing to give the benefit of doubt. But unfortunately since neither eBay or PayPal was willing to accept I had proof that I didn’t receive what I paid for, I can’t help but feel I was scammed by this seller and eBay and PayPal have enable the seller to get away with it.
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Have you tried actually CALLING eBay? Emailling is generally a complete waste of time due to the replies mostly being bot generated. Go into the help pages, via the link at the top and bottom of any eBay page, select any option and scroll to the bottom until you have the option to "call us" or "have us call you". Select the latter and they will call you within a few minutes. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and calmly explain what is going on, and that you have proof of your claims.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

I'm not sure whether it's ebay or paypal, or both, but if it's delivered within X kilometres of your address they deem it delivered. It's completely stupid and totally wrong but that's how they operate.
Scammers take advantage of it - they can send an empty envelope (or parcel) to a nearby address and it's recorded as delivered and there's nothing you can do about it.

What sort of feedback did the seller have? A lot of Chinese/Asian sellers have appalling feedback but a lot of people ignore it and still buy from them. I won't because I don't believe in gambling with my hard earned money. With some sellers the odds are stacked against you.
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

I know it's an old thread, but I agree, always check the feedback. If there's nothing there on the feedback, or heaps of negative feedback, don't buy from the seller. I've personally never received (as far as I've noted) something from SpeedPAK, although I do have something on the way with them now, and everything appears as normal.

There are a lot of of shipping companies opperating from China, partly because of the export demand to the world, I imagine. Everytime I've ordered from China, I've always received the product as described, and the shipping is usually quite good, one of the benefits of a competitive region in the industry I suppose. I wouldn't be so quick to blame SpeedPAK, but rather the seller in this case. Always check your sellers history, and if there's any issues, maybe try contacting them for a resolution, THEN bring it up with PayPal/Ebay.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

It's obvious the couriers are running the scam.

I got done in a similar way recently with another carrier.

The courier stated that the item was delivered, however it was not.

The courier obviously kept the item and falsley declared the tracking information.

I know this for a fact, I have video surveilence monitoring all the delivery areas on my property.

And NO delivery person came on the day to deliver the item. The item was not delivered to me at anytime.

With Australia Post however, it's a different story.

If Australia Post was responsible for the delivery, and you provide a statement from Australia Post, that the item did not correspond to the item you purchased by obvious reasons, according to dimensions and weight and type of item in the delivery, ebay should have taken it into account.

I would lodge a complaint with eBay outlining your case.

I would also report the seller in detail for unethical action on their behalf.

I would also place feedback for the seller outlining that the item your received was not as described. And that the seller is UNETHICAL and cannot be trusted.

I would also report the incident to the ACCC, including all the details of the secondary carrier after the item supposedly entered Australia.

I would also report the case as fraud to the Australian Federal Police Department.

I would also spend time on the internet reporting the seller to any one who will listen.

I would of also kept the letter you apparently were sent as evidence.

i would also seek others who have been done by the same seller.

Who was the seller?

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

I would of also tried to report the fraud to my credit card company and put a stop on the payment.
Message 10 of 29
Latest reply