Scammed on Ebay

There's meant to be a money back policy on Ebay but there's no way of contacting them.  

The buyer is always away and the feedback is all negative now.  

I put in Item didn't arrive but I still want the item and then saw no one was getting their items.  Closed that and to put I Want a Refund but the button never reappeared.  There's no way of contacting Ebay.

They have a refund policy they're proud of on every page but no way to get one now.  

Being they've now broken that policy, does anyone know how to contact legal ombudsman in Australia or any other actions that I can do just to get my money back.  

Thanks

Lee

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scammed on Ebay

I understand that you had a change of mind, from being willing to wait to wanting a refund once you realised no one else was getting their items.

Unfortunately, once you close a claim with ebay, you can't reopen it.

If ever an item does not arrive, always, always go for the refund. Never agree to wait or for them to send another item as you only get 30 days in which to make a claim & you can't afford for it to time out.

Had you kept your claim open, the seller could not have proven it was delivered and you could have pressed for a refund.

If you paid via paypal, then you are in luck as you get about 180 days in which to open a claim with them. If you do, just state the item never arrived and then follow through with your claim. You may get an instant refund or you may have to wait a week or so to give the seller the chance of reply, but follow through.

You can contact ebay on the help line (chat) and you could try that but I don't know how you would go as my impression is ebay is fairly inflexible. If ever you strike a problem with a purchase & need to make a claim etc it is always best to read up on their policies first so you know exactly what to do. Or you can ask here.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Scammed on Ebay

Well if you closed the item didnt arrive case you have done your dash.

It didnt arrive you should have left it open till you got your refund,  but by closing the case you said you were a happy chappie or lassie.

You have being a member for 20 years,  if you don't know, well guess its your own problem.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

There IS a money back guarantee

And you don't need to contact the seller OR eBay to be covered

you closed the dispute, which told eBay you were happy with the outcome

If you did not follow the process, then no. the legal ombudsman is not going to help you

You admit yourself that you closed the dispute

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

You weren't scammed. You allowed it to happen. No one can help you. If you paid with PayPal you could try a claim through them, or a credit card chargeback if you used that. Otherwise, you've done your dough. 

Why on earth would you close a dispute like that? Sure, you said you still wanted the item, but given all the feedback was now negative, did you really think you were going to get it? You were NEVER going to get it because it was probably a hijacked account. You've been around long enough to know how things work.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

In future - read up on what it means to ' close a dispute '.

One is able to ' change ' the reason for a dispute - but never - never ' close it ' - until the required outcome has been achieved.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

Read through the MBG policy page, and you will see that  you must follow the exact procedure as outlined. There is no room for changing your mind after you have closed the case, because once the case is closed, it's CLOSED.

The Money Back Guarantee has terms and conditions

eBay's MBG is not run by humans; it's bot-driven. Human intervention is relatively rare, and generally speaking it pops up when something out of the ordinary (or with additional information that can't be assessed by the automatic process) pops up. Your case is not out of the ordinary.

If you were au fait with the MBG, you would be aware of the strict timeframes. You must open a case within 30 days of the item's arrival (for SNAD/INAD - Significantly/Item Not As Described) or the EDD (Estimated Delivery Date, for Item Not Received). If seller doesn't provide satisfactory resolution within 3 business days of your opening the dispute, the option to ask eBay to step in appears. You'd select that if appropriate.

You must select the option to get a full refund if an item hasn't arrived. If you time opening the dispute properly, you would probably open the dispute/refund request after you've given the item extra time to arrive - but no longer than, say, a few days before the latest time for you to open the dispute (if you are giving as much time as possible for the item to arrive). You should not wait longer than that if you want to be covered by the MBG. Certainly under no circumstances do you close the dispute before actually getting your resolution. eBay's help page concerning the MBG clearly inform you of this.

But I haven't been refunded...

Your satisfactory resolution does not mean that the seller "promises" a refund, or asks you to wait a bit longer because [insert excuses] and the item will be sure to arrive soon. Rather, it means the item HAS arrived and is as described, OR a refund has been issued to you. (You should receive a message in your eBay inbox stating that you've been refunded and that the funds will go back to your funding source.)

If you didn't follow the MBG process, eBay owe you nothing. That's why it is important to do exactly what the MBG policy states.

What you can do now

You are still in time to get a refund through PayPal if you paid via PayPal (as has been said). If you can't get a refund through PayPal, then you can try a chargeback through your card issuer (usually your bank) - but check the timeframe for a chargeback with your card, as it's different for each card provider/type of card.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

Thanks for the help.  Yep, looks like I've done my cash.  Like you said I've been here a long time, they used to put a pair of shades on the persons feedback, so you knew not to buy from them.  I paid by credit card so I'll contact the bank.  

So many bad experiences on here lately.  

Thanks 

Lee

I'll look in to Australian consumer law and see if there's anything on there.  

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

Given that the account has maybe been hijacked, highly unlikely ACL will be any good because it will be a foreign scammer. Even if it's a genuine Australian seller who has gone rogue, unless they are a registered business, ACL can't touch them. You could buy from me, I could rip you off blind, and ACL won't help. Your best bet is to do a chargeback. In fact, that's your only hope.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

That is the chestnut everyone who does not follow policy but expects to be covered anyway comes up with

Feel free to waste your time

You closed the dispute, telling eBay all was well by doing so

There is 'special circumstances' clause 

If ACL do actually respond to you, they'd tell you the same

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Scammed on Ebay

Not sure what you are goibng to ACL about,   you opened your case,  than you closed i (admitted above), .

They are going to say there is a process in place,  you indicated you were happy by closing said case.  They arent going to help.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply