Seller Has Items Showing As Private in Feedback

Hi all.  What would be the reason a seller has chosen to have their sold items showing as 'private' on their feedback page?  You can see the feedback but not what it was for.

Cheers

Yellow

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Seller Has Items Showing As Private in Feedback

Some members don't want others to see they have purchased items that may be of a sensitive personal matter.

Or so that other family members cannot see potential gifts purchased.

Some buy and sell collectables and don't want potential buyers seeing the initial purchase price.

But anyone having their feedback set to private means they cannot sell on that ID.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It means that the seller has listed the item as a Private Listing.....you an't see what the item or price is in feedback and other memberc cannot see who is bidding on the item.

The original purpose was for use with expnsive collectables or underwear but these days a lot of sellers use it because they can.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal.  It just seems an odd thing to do when what they are selling is mostly car and motorbike stuff and ramps.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

It can also be used by "dodgy" sellers that may shill bid on their items as you can't check bidding history,(as

stated,some seem to do it because they can and some may believe buyers might buy stuff that they don't want

others to know about).Who knows.gif

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@yellowmazda323 wrote:

Hi all.  What would be the reason a seller has chosen to have their sold items showing as 'private' on their feedback page?  You can see the feedback but not what it was for.

Cheers

Yellow

Yes, I've noticed that same thing with a few things i have bought.

I would perfectly understand it if the seller sold sensitive items but mine were things like small quantities of cinnamon & also small doileys, both types of purchases the sorts of things that were quite low value, not anything special.

I actually thought (for the one selling cinnamon especially) it could help their sales to have feedback on public as then other people could see which products got the good feedback.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I have some private listings... I didn't mean for them to be, though. When I create custom listings for a buyer, I tend to make those private as they are often for bulk items and include a discount. Other buyers don't need to be privy to that information.

Several times after doing that, I've created new listings and the option to make the listing private has been selected by default without me noticing, and I can't change it once there's been a sale. 

Also, making all listings private means competitors have access to much less information; some sellers will do it because of that. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply