Seller Posted live worms without air holes.DOA will eBay do anything about this unethical behaviour?

I purchased 1000 live composting worms from a seller in Western Australia after I asked a lot of questions beforehand and they absolutely assured me that the worms would travel with enough food and air to make the journey to Victoria without any harm coming to them , and that they had sent worms safely before.

To my shock they arrived in a plastic skittles lolly bucket that was sealed around the top and the lid with sticky tape - there were no air holes!

When I opened the container there was no sign of life and nothing inside even resembling a worm- only foul smelling mud with what look like small bits of string in it.

I am absolutely disgusted and appalled that someone would do such a thing and think that it is ok. Seller is unapologetic, they are taking zero responsibility and making out like it is some kind of joke.

I have complained to ebay about this but nothing has been done- the listing with a posting option still remains active.

Seller also has their website listed within the listing. Is this even allowed?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Seller Posted live worms without air holes.DOA will eBay do anything about this unethical behaviour?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

No it's not allowed to sell live animals

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/live-animals-policy?id=4327&st=3&p...

I have reported the listing.  The more people that report it the more they will take notice, I believe

Maybe you need to contact ebay  - via chat - to point out their own policy.

Did you open a case for Item not as described to get your money back?

I hope you have kept the seller's messages for the dispute, as ebay can read them.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I have also reported it

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I did contact ebay via chat and asked to report them. I opened a case for not as decribed which the seller would not have a bar of!  I then had to asking ebay to step in and help as seller refused to send a return label. The attitude they gave me was absolutey digusting when I posted the photo of the dead worms for them to see what had arrived. They 'claimed' they could see 'at least' 3 worms out of 1000 and that I was a scammer and that i should go and scam somebody else!

Ebay wanted me to return it all to the seller which I have-  it is currently in transit.

Im sure I will get my money back at some point- I am so disturbed by this experience that just want this seller stopped. Its just not acceptable!  

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

@tomcollins3 wrote:

I did contact ebay via chat and asked to report them. I opened a case for not as decribed which the seller would not have a bar of!  I then had to asking ebay to step in and help as seller refused to send a return label. The attitude they gave me was absolutey digusting when I posted the photo of the dead worms for them to see what had arrived. They 'claimed' they could see 'at least' 3 worms out of 1000 and that I was a scammer and that i should go and scam somebody else!

Ebay wanted me to return it all to the seller which I have-  it is currently in transit.

Im sure I will get my money back at some point- I am so disturbed by this experience that just want this seller stopped. Its just not acceptable!  

I'm assuming the 'they' is the seller and not ebay.

Apart from telling you to return it, what did ebay chat have to say about the listing?

They need to be reminded of their own policy

Have you uploaded the tracking number into the dispute?

Do not let the dispute time out.

Ask ebay to step in as soon as allowed.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

yes I have uploaded the tracking info but I get the feeling that yes they (the seller) wouldn't be volunteering to do the correct thing and refund me once it arrives. No doubt i'll be chasing it up with ebay again. 

Under what listing practice should they be reported under?  I had trouble with finding the correct complaint. 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

When asked to step in, and ebay finds in your favour, they will take the money from the seller's account.  No need for a follow up.

Seller should know this.  They will also get a defect on their account.

For reporting -

Prohibited and restricted items  >  Animals, plants and wildlife  > Animals, animal parts, pelts or skins

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I have reported too.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

If you type 'worms' into the search bar on their feedback page, they've been selling them for almost a year without a problem.

No-one has obviously reported them.

Feedback for worms is all positive.  Any wonder they think the OP is a scammer.

OP is also the one buyer to purchase 2 lots.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Maybe it has more to do with how long it took to get from WA to Victoria, particularly since Victoria is experiencing extreme mail delays.

In any case, sending from WA to Vic is ok, but I don't think you are allowed to return them from Vic to WA (fruit fly soil contamination)?

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply