Seller added my address to his mailing list

Some time back I made one purchase from a seller for some Nutrimetics items and the seller has taken it upon himself to add my address to his mailing list when he does mailouts of the Nutrimetics catalogues.  Are they allowed to do this?

I'm kind of annoyed as I did not ask to be added to his mailing list and I feel it is sneaky to use my address as such when I only wanted to purchase a product from him, no more.

I can't seem to find any policy on Ebay about this.  I know I can email the seller and ask him to remove me from his mailing list but I don't think they should be doing it in the first place.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller added my address to his mailing list

@chiccalocawrote:

Thanks but that refers to emails, he is actually physically sending catalogues to my home address.

Not entirely.

From the same link -

Buyers and sellers aren't allowed to use information they've obtained on eBay to contact each other to buy or sell off eBay. Sellers who listed an item on eBay must pay all fees for the eBay services they've used, even if the sale is completed off eBay (such as cash on delivery, pay on pickup, or paid by cheque or money order).

If a seller or buyer asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, please contact us.

Ask them, nicely, to take you off the mailing list and if they don't then report them.

Emailing ebay is useless.  Get them to call you back and you'll get someone with some knowledge.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Spam (email)

We don't allow our members to send each other spam. "Spam" is an email (or part of an email) that is both unsolicited and commercial in nature.

Unsolicited means the message was sent without the explicit request of the person who received it. Commercial means the message discusses buying, selling, or trading of goods or services.

If you have received spam from another eBay member, please report it.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=426...

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks but that refers to emails, he is actually physically sending catalogues to my home address.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I know you should'nt have to, but maybe contact their 'head office' and complain 

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Wouldn't the simplest thing be to ask the seller to remove you from his mailing list?

You never know, he might just do it without a fuss and your problem will be solved with minimum annoyance.

Or you could do what I do with junk mail....put it in the recycling bin....problem solved.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Lyndal1838 - I'm well aware that I can ask the seller to remove me from his mailling list.  I have done this.

My question is are they allowed to keep your postal address to then use and add to their mailout list which is nothing to do with Ebay.

I have emailed Ebay and they did not answer the question but simply said to contact the person to remove me from their mail out.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@chiccalocawrote:

Not entirely.

From the same link -

Buyers and sellers aren't allowed to use information they've obtained on eBay to contact each other to buy or sell off eBay. Sellers who listed an item on eBay must pay all fees for the eBay services they've used, even if the sale is completed off eBay (such as cash on delivery, pay on pickup, or paid by cheque or money order).

If a seller or buyer asks you to complete a transaction outside of eBay, please contact us.

Ask them, nicely, to take you off the mailing list and if they don't then report them.

Emailing ebay is useless.  Get them to call you back and you'll get someone with some knowledge.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks imastawka.

I have it sorted now.

Thanks to those who offered helpful advice.  Cheers

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

What was the solution?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:

What was the solution?

She sent Caaaaarrrrrrrrl around to the seller's place. He sorted him out real quick......

Spoiler
He had a hankering for some hands........
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply