Seller cancelled but claims item has shipped and I need to pay

mmj638
Community Member

After purchase seller contacted me saying they had accidentally cancelled my order and wanted me to still pay because they had already shipped the item.

At first this seemed legit so I said sure why not, but let's wait until my money is back.

The only tracking number I have doesn't show anything has shipped and doesn't have any of my details in it. This isn't all that unusual when the seller is a drop shipper as it takes a while to get into auspost's system but nonetheless I have nothing that really indicates it's been shipped.

Anyway, I asked the seller if the item is still on its way and not delayed, and said if they want payment, they can relist the item to do it properly through eBay's system and since then haven't heard back over 3 days.

So, this silence is giving me major cold feet and feel as if either it was an attempted scam, or seller was legit but totally unreliable. As it stands I have all my money back, so I am not at this stage down anything.

Except, I still want the item, and if this one's not coming I want to buy it elsewhere.

What if the original item turns up eventually and original seller, who had cancelled the order, wants payment and/or the item back?

I can't see how to open a dispute with eBay because the item was refunded.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Seller cancelled but claims item has shipped and I need to pay

You can also look at a seller's completed and/or sold listings or use the general advanced search (for all items/sellers) and tick completed and/or sold listings.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

OK, registered in Australia with minimal feedback as a seller, I don't know why they are paying for a store with only 11 items in it, definitely losing money there for no real reason.

Well set up listing and no red flags there that I can see. I suspect they probably have another selling account or have taken some serious advice on how to set up a listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

They seem to have changed their username recently, but that's not a red flag of course.

Well, just wait and see and keep an eye on the tracking to see if it updates.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

All the tracking services just show "shipping information received by australia post" or "Parcel data submitted to carrier".  The earlier of the expected delivery dates is tomorrow, but it's plausible that if it's legit it could turn up before the later date.  Auspost doesn't show sender or recipient info because the shipment doesn't match my stored details.

So many little red flags, no confidence, this is just a pain because if this seller isn't legitimate it means going with another seller and waiting all over again.  And if the item does turn up I have to deal with this deadbeat seller if there's any issues with it.

-----------------

My experience with Auspost & some other delivery services has been that when it says 'Shipping information received', that just means the seller has generated a postage label. That can be done from anywhere-home, a shop etc.

It doesn't mean the item has actually been received by any post office.

I usually find that I get a second notification once the item is taken to the post office. Forget the exact wording but something along the lines that they have received it at such and such a PO for shipping, and it gives the time it was lodged.

That's when you know it is really in the system.

There are usually further notices you'll receive once it is on board for delivery etc

But... by the sounds of it, your parcel had a postage label generated but was never actually taken to the PO.

It could still be sitting in the seller's spare room for all we know.

Or it could have been dropped in a mail box. Bit silly of the seller if so as it is a reasonably expensive item.

You're in the driver's seat here. If it doesn't arrive, you'll know the seller is at best a bungler or at worst was trying a bit of a scam.

If it does arrive and is faulty or not as described, just don't pay for it.

If it does turn up and is exactly what you expected and you are 100% happy with it after trying it out, then you can  pay for it. I don't think you're going to be able to do this via ebay as that transaction has been cancelled and even if the seller relisted, what if someone else quickly bid and won?  Also, a seller may be wary of having a tracking number that pre dates an ebay sale.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I'm going to take a punt and say the seller might be trying to avoid the bay fees for the sale. As far as I know, fees are refunded for a cancellation (except the non refundable 30c). By getting you to repay directly, they have avoided paying the fees.

What was the reason given in the cancellation?

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

What was the reason given in the cancellation?

"Cancellation reason
Buyer asked to cancel"

Update- tracking is now updated and shows item is nearing me. So I guess this looks like it's going to arrive after all. Still unsure of safest way to pay seller back

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@mmj638 wrote:

Update- tracking is now updated and shows item is nearing me. So I guess this looks like it's going to arrive after all. Still unsure of safest way to pay seller back

When I've done it in the past I've simply asked the seller for their Paypal address and sent that way.

BUT make sure there's no problem with the item or it will be difficult to get your money back - it can be done with the Paypal "resolution centre" but it's not as clear-cut as the MBG.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

When it arrives, just test it out and if you are completely happy with it, offer to pay via paypal.

Paypal doesn't have to go through ebay.

If you're worried about that aspect, I can tell you I once made a purchase using paypal (not through ebay) and things did go wrong-company went into receivership-and I had no trouble dealing with paypal directly for a refund. It's a safe way to pay.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

mmj638
Community Member

Item arrived and it looks fine, seller is a scholar and a gentleman.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Seller could just relist the item on ebay so you can pay 

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply