Seller cancelled item after a week without any explanation

I had bought an item on 23 August and paid for it. Seller even sent me pictures of the shipping box with my details on it all ready to go and told me he didn't have time to send it and he will be sending it on 29 August (Monday). Its 30 August (Tuesday) today and he has cancelled my order, issued me a refund and is not responding to messages.

I don't get it; I paid immediately, and initially at least, he communicated with me and even sent me extra pictures etc. Now, all of a sudden, he has cancelled the order and issued me a refund. I don't want the refund, I want what I paid for. Do I have any recourse to get the item? Thank you.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@s_ararj_b0jpmat wrote:

Do I have any recourse to get the item? Thank you.

No, you can't force a seller to send your item, all you can do is leave appropriate feedback for them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

The seller just responded to me and said the reason for cancellation was that it can't be shipped for the amount he charged me for shipping, and it will be "super expensive" to ship it to me to Australia (item is in Chile).

His explanation: 

"hello friend I had a problem with your shipment, it does not arrive in your location, ask for the other company and the shipment is super expensive for what I sent you, and if it does not arrive it may not be returned and they destroy it, that's why I'll give you the refund"

I also lost money due to the exchange rate, the refund is around $40 less than what I paid for it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions how to deal with this, thank you.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

A difference of $40 in such a short time due to the exchange rate? How expensive was the item and in which currency? It must have been very expensive.

If you want to talk to eBay about it, you could try live chat from the help page, but I don't think there is anything that can be done when the exchange rate changes.

There are other people who complained here that they lost money when they got a refund due to the exchange rate, but it was usually less and they usually got a refund after quite a long time because the item had not arrived, so the exchange rate had changed, but in such a short time it is weird.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

According to the Chile post site, they don't deliver to Australia.

https://www-correos-cl.translate.goog/web/guest/alertas-envios?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_...

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Yes it was a collectors edition, very limited run model car, it was US$500, I was charged AU$735, but refunded AU$694.90.

Thank you clarifying that Chile Post don't deliver to Australia, weird why we have been excluded. I guess I will wait for the refund to arrive and leave appropriate, factual feedback and try and get it elsewhere.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

What was the item number of the car (RHS of the listing page) ?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Its 314084089459

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

OK thanks for that. They're an inexperienced seller and eBay may have indicated to them that postage to Australia was possible when it wasn't. I don't believe they deserve negative feedback in this case as the situation may have been complicated by eBay itself.

Regarding the difference in the refund, did you perhaps pay by credit card as they will take a fee for refunds ?

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Yes I paid with a credit card but I've not been charged any fee for refunds, I don't think the bank does that, I think it must be due to the exchange rate because I have been refunded the funds in US$.

Yeah I'm not sure whether this warrants negative feedback, maybe neutral but I do want to include the fact that the seller cancelled due to postage being expensive.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply