Seller cancelled my order with incorrect reason but were Out of Stock

morleck
Community Member

Purchased a large fridge on 09Jan and paid in full and receive notification from the courier for delivery.

Large tech retailer is selling box unopened items through ebay and was showing 7 items available.

After the purchase it showed 6 items available.

19Jan I receive a notification through ebay from large retailer advising the order is cancelled due to Issue with Address. I called the courier who advised that they still have it scheduled for delivery on 22Jan and that there is no issue with my address.

I called the large retailer who advised that the order was cancelled on the 19th as they are out of stock.

They offered a refund but advised that they will not supply an identical or similar item for the cost I paid.

I called the Tech retailer online team who advised that the item is in stock as brand new and they can sell it to me for $400 more.

Is this legal? How can they sell stock they don't have? Did they resell my item?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@morleck wrote:

Purchased a large fridge on 09Jan and paid in full and receive notification from the courier for delivery.

Large tech retailer is selling box unopened items through ebay and was showing 7 items available.

19Jan I receive a notification through ebay from large retailer advising the order is cancelled due to Issue with Address. I called the courier who advised that they still have it scheduled for delivery on 22Jan and that there is no issue with my address.

I called the large retailer who advised that the order was cancelled on the 19th as they are out of stock.

They offered a refund but advised that they will not supply an identical or similar item for the cost I paid.

I called the Tech retailer online team who advised that the item is in stock as brand new and they can sell it to me for $400 more.

Is this legal? How can they sell stock they don't have? Did they resell my item?

What's this business of 'they offered a refund'?

Surely if they cancelled an order they should have refunded immediately.

If you have not received your refund at all, then hang tight. 22nd Jan is tomorrow.

Should the estimated delivery date window pass and you have still not received your refund, open an ebay claim for item not received.

They have claimed issue with your address because they know that by using that excuse, their account won't get into trouble with ebay, whereas if they put out of stock, that will go against them.

I don't know why the retailer pulled the plug on these sales. Maybe if they are still in the boxes, the retailer figures they can be sold at full retail price. It's not uncommon for some sellers to fail to honour a sale if they think they can get more money by relisting, but it is unusual I think) that a large retailer would do it.

You can't force a sale though, that's the bottom line. As for selling stock they don't have', it is possible they had their numbers wrong. I once (many years back) bought some garden pots on ebay and at pick up, noticed that half of them were not at all what I had ordered, not near as nice in my opinion and when I commented, the staff member was up in arms and said, well, we ran out, we've done the best we could for you with substitutions. What else do you expect? Like I was the unreasonable one.

So it's possible there was some incompetent bungling with numbers of fridges listed online and if what you bought was eg superceded stock then yes, you're not getting the new ones at the same price.

Your main issue now is to make sure that one way or another, you get a refund immediately. Then shop elsewhere. There will definitely be other sales. Try somewhere like Appliances online or go to one of those warehouses where they sell seconds, superceded mdels or unboxed items. You can pick up some fab bargains that way.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you have received your refund move on to another seller.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Certainly does not look anything like a real page for the real  large retailer

It looks very much like a scammer pretending to be them

Less than one thousand sales in a year and 69.7% feedback?

And the page that looks like a child designed it

And they leave individual feedback comments rather than pre-filled copy and paste style you would expect to see from a company that size

Sorry, but if I saw a page like that, with that name, I'd be leaving real fast

It looks about as genuine as one of these Facebook pages that pretend they are Maccas and have 12 likes

Did you ring the actual real large retailer, or a phone number from the eBay page?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@morleck wrote:

What's this business of 'they offered a refund'?

Surely if they cancelled an order they should have refunded immediately.

If you have not received your refund at all, then hang tight. 22nd Jan is tomorrow.

Should the estimated delivery date window pass and you have still not received your refund, open an ebay claim for item not received.

They have claimed issue with your address because they know that by using that excuse, their account won't get into trouble with ebay, whereas if they put out of stock, that will go against them.

I don't know why the retailer pulled the plug on these sales. Maybe if they are still in the boxes, the retailer figures they can be sold at full retail price. It's not uncommon for some sellers to fail to honour a sale if they think they can get more money by relisting, but it is unusual I think) that a large retailer would do it.

You can't force a sale though, that's the bottom line. As for selling stock they don't have', it is possible they had their numbers wrong. I once (many years back) bought some garden pots on ebay and at pick up, noticed that half of them were not at all what I had ordered, not near as nice in my opinion and when I commented, the staff member was up in arms and said, well, we ran out, we've done the best we could for you with substitutions. What else do you expect? Like I was the unreasonable one.

So it's possible there was some incompetent bungling with numbers of fridges listed online and if what you bought was eg superceded stock then yes, you're not getting the new ones at the same price.

Your main issue now is to make sure that one way or another, you get a refund immediately. Then shop elsewhere. There will definitely be other sales. Try somewhere like Appliances online or go to one of those warehouses where they sell seconds, superceded mdels or unboxed items. You can pick up some fab bargains that way.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I called the official company, and it was definitely them. They had a record of the order

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

That is good to hear, but crikey 

They need to fire whoever set up that eBay page because it looks about as real as an outlet selling unicorn dust 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

PS I never thought to check your feedback but after seeing Sandy's comment, I did.

Morleck, get the refund and get it asap.

I didn't have a problem with the webpage as such but I am not very tech savvy, I'll admit. I see they sell items where the boxes have been damaged, hence the discounted prices.

But with a feedback score of 69.7%, you really need to check the comments out.

Buyer after buyer complained of the same problem as you-having orders cancelled.

Samsung itself might be a reputable company but this is an outlet. selling the seconds.

My worry is that a lot of the negs are for items that are also bent, damaged etc after the ads promised it was only the packaging that was scuffed.

You've potentially dodged a bullet. Go into an outlet in person, check out the unboxed product or whatever before you buy.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Ok,  no idea about your refund. 

But my question is why would you buy from someone (anyone) who has a feedback rating of 69.7%.  Sorry some buyers are their own worst enemy.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply