Seller cancelled order WON about 24 hours after I won auction - automatic refund given. Rate seller?

Seller cancelled my order (worth $95 plus postage) without any notice, almost 24 hours after I won the auction - automatic refund was given.

When I asked why it was cancelled, she said item was damaged. I asked for a photo as I still wanted the item - she said the item was at her parents & Covid restrictions.

Then she said she actually wanted to keep item!
Do I have grounds for any sort of official complaint or do I just give the worst feedback?
Everything is recorded in Ebay messages.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Seller cancelled order WON about 24 hours after I won auction - automatic refund given. Rate seller?

I have experienced this several times.

eBay can't send Guido &Luigi to force the seller to ship the item.

Best to leave calm & factual feedback after your jets gave cooled...I wait a couple of weeks before I leave feedback.

Other member's mileage may vary.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Best to leave calm & factual feedback after your jets gave cooled...I wait a couple of weeks before I leave feedback.

Too late. Already given "the worst feedback ever". Given the seller is only new, their feedback is now low enough where they could be restricted from selling for a bit.

Given the OP sells that brand of clothing, I'd say she was buying to resell. Seller may have seen that and decided not to sell to her.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Too late. Already given "the worst feedback ever". Given the seller is only new, their feedback is now low enough where they could be restricted from selling for a bit.

Given the OP sells that brand of clothing, I'd say she was buying to resell. Seller may have seen that and decided not to sell to her.

G'day tippy.

OP had not left that feedback when I replied.

To me the feedback left is surprisingly benign...I expected much worse.

As feedback has no bearing on seller metrics I don't think it will affect the seller's ability to sell.

I guess like so many others the OP's mind was already made up & they did not want an answer to their question.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I think you're right. Some people just need to have a vent to hopefully feel a bit better. I expected more volatile feedback, so I expect she did take notice of you about leaving polite, factual feedback, rather than a full on rant like some do when emotional.

I can't remember if you mentioned it (I forgot to), but to the OP, there isn't any real grounds for complaining about the seller to eBay. Anyone is entitled to change their mind and decide not to sell, for many reasons. It's not best practice, but not illegal or a policy violation. Even if you contact eBay, they will just tell you what you want to hear, and that will be the end of it (we'll look into the seller's practices and ensure it doesn't happen again......delete).

All you can really do is move on

If I can offer a suggestion, if you are buying to resell, I'd advise having two accounts. One to buy, the other to sell. It doesn't take a lot for an inquisitive buyer to follow your buying and selling. All sellers deserve to make a profit on the items they sell. Sadly, some buyers can't accept that. If you bought an item for $50 and then sold it for $80, there are buyers that would go batsh*t crazy if they found out.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I was not buying to resell - I buy for my private use; if pieces do not fit or do not suit, then I re-sell, but you should see my wardrobe space XD
This was a special piece, not seen very often..
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

I gave feedback as per her messages - it's all recorded with Ebay so she can't complain that I made it all up.
Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

I was able to give negative feedback immediately (not usual when I make a normal purchase) so I did so, just in case the seller is tempted to do this to other buyers.
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I always make immediate payment, so it was very rude of her to cancel the order a day later, for none of Ebay's legitimate reasons? I do not buy to resell; I do sell-on if items are not suitable, usually DROPPING the price to ensure some remuneration (notice that I have only one item unsold at the moment..)
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

jjw- gracestone,  I almost felt some sympathy for you because you didn't get  the item - antil I saw the neg. f/back you gave the seller as well as your reasoning for doing so!

Seriously? You really think that will actually stop anyone buying anything from that lady "and will stop her doing it again to someone else?"

My, it looks like there is too much power for one person to wield - NOT - it's a joke, surely?

Your f/back has a zero effect on the seller but it may produce an adverse effect on your account.

Just about everyone I know imediately blocks people who give negs  just to exert some sort of "punishment" on the seller, and most certainly not in the public interest - as public is NOT interested!

They stopped being interested in f/backs long ago - biggest reason being is they are unreliable. Not to be taken seriously if at all.

You got your refund, girl told you she wants to keep it - end of story. You should have respected that and had this  been anywhere else but Ebay where there are no f/back facilities you would have!

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply