Seller disappeared on eBay after paying his bank directly

A seller was auctioning a camera, also advised he will be accepting a offer directly but payment to his bank details. We had a mutual agreement and he canceled auction. Sent him money to his bank details. Next day he started auction on same camera and same serial number again. When I ask why is he auctioning camera which was sold already, he became unreachable. Is there anyway to recover my money and not allow seller to advertise payment methods not authorized by eBay? 

I have asked my bank to dispute my payment, I have to wait at least 90 days to get an answer.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You allowed a self imposed scam to be carried out on you.

What is Ebays number one rule,  don't trade outside of Ebay,  you traded outside of Ebay,  it is sad that your bank will most likely refund your money.  Personally I don't believe they should when you are to blame for the scam.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

There is nothing to stop a seller offering bank transfer for payment, but as you've found out there is NO protection for a buyer through eBay if that method is used.

Good luck with your bank reversing the payment.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

You have been swindled, unfortunately ๐Ÿ˜ž

Paying by bank deposit offers no protection.

Since there is no official "transaction", you cannot even leave negative feedback.

How much was the camera?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Why on earth did you pay a complete stranger into his bank account.  You have absolutely no protection whatever. 

There is little or nothing Ebay can do to help you.  Maybe a call to Police Cybercrime unit but think you have probably done your money.

Others may have more ideas

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

.........it is sad that your bank will most likely refund your money. 

Sugar, unless it was a credit card payment, it's unlikely the bank will reverse the payment.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Also, since there are messages between you, you do have some form of proof that he steered you towards paying via bank deposit and it was his intention to defraud you.

Whilst he may not be responding to your messages, you can still message him to say that you will be launching legal proceedings in small claims court, or approaching a debt collection agency, as well as filing a police report since you have his bank details.

If he has blocked you, you may need to write to him from a different account.

What is the item number of the camera in question?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

.........it is sad that your bank will most likely refund your money. 

Sugar, unless it was a credit card payment, it's unlikely the bank will reverse the payment.

Yeah I realised that when I read the post again.   Thats even better, it may be a lesson to the buyer,  who aided this scam.  Sometimes expensive lessons are the only way people learn, and listen.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Just looking at the OPS account, they are an experienced Ebayรฉr so should know the rules.   So how many other times have they traded outside Ebay.

It is a real pity that Ebay staff don't monitor here,  if they did,  they should be cancelling OPS account for admission of breaching the rules.  

Funny they come here to complain about scammers,  but they commit bad deeds themselves.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

If Ebay really had buyers interests at heart, they shouldn't allow bank transfer to even be offered on this platform. They literally tell  buyers they can use this method.

The following payment methods, which are offered at eBay checkout, are allowed:

• PayPal
  • Payment upon pickup
  • Bank transfer
  • Bank cheques and personal cheques
  • Money orders

Most buyers would not realise they are about to get duped since they trust the platform. I understand that bank transfer isn't covered by the MBG, but then it should not be encouraged in the first place due to the high nature of scamming.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply