Seller got the phone and the money

two_6736
Community Member

Bought 'brand new' phone as a guest in October - the sale is not recorded in my current account but I have the order confirmation email. Samsung techs told me in May, the phone was not new and was badly repaired. Asked seller for a refund, sent phone back to them, then they offered only 29% of price which I declined. So did I actually lose both phone and dough - and eBay its reputation?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Did you actually open a case for Not as Described, or just send it back to the seller?

Ebay Money Back Guarantee has a time frame of 30 days and you must open a case.

Ebay has the tools to help you, but you must use them.

Buying as a guest | eBay

Paypal has 180 days if you used it.   Try opening a case with them.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Have you read the requirements?

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Unfortunately it's too late for PayPal too... Maybe you can try a cc chargeback, but over 6 months is probably past their deadline too...

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Sorry to hear this.

If you had opened a case in time and the seller is based in Australia,  they would have had to either refund you or provide a shipping label for you to return it. The only thing you can possibly do now is approach your credit card company if you funded the purchase that way (even if you paid it via Paypal).

Please read through the Ebay handbook for buyers. It tells you what to do in the case of an item not being as described. You would have needed to open a case so that Ebay can track what actually happens. Just communicating with the seller is not sufficient as Ebay now has no way of enforcing anything.

I think that the only difference when purchasing as a guest is that you cannot leave feedback, but you can still open cases if needed.

In future:

1) Open a case in Ebay within the timeframe. 

2) If past the timeframe, open a case in Paypal (if that how you paid) within 180 days

3) Lastly, contact credit card company if that was your source of funding.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply