Seller lied about item location and courier is doing nothing

On 7 August I bought an item from a seller who in the item description said they had stock in Regents Park, Brisbane. But in the postage section it stated Sydney. The location isn't the main issue (although Brisbane would have been preferred). Delivery was estimated to occur between 14 to 18 August. However, the item hasn't moved from Aramex (Fastway) in Sydney since it arrived there on 7 August. Is this normal with this courier? How long does a parcel get to sit in their warehouse? I contacted them but it was pointless. I know covid is causing problems but I at least expected my parcel to be on its way by now. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Seller lied about item location and courier is doing nothing

Not much the seller can do now that the item has been despatched.

Fortunately you have another 24 days of buyer protection from eBay and another 161 days from PayPal.

Good to hear you are aware of the issues that Covid is causing.

Sorry I don't know if that is "normal with this courier"...however last year they took 3 weeks to deliver a package from Newcastle to me in Central Wesr NSW.

Btw always look at feedback to see where a seller is registered.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

My last delivery through Aramex, it got a couple scans to begin with (picked up and at depot), and then nothing for 15 days, until finally it was just "out for delivery", so it moved at some point, but there were basically no updates in between them receiving it and it being delivered (I'm in SA and it was coming from NSW). I always get a little sinking feeling any time a seller uses them for a delivery, even before covid (I've personally always received my packages, but they never had any business having "fast" in their name as far as I'm concerned).

If this is standard for them at the moment, no scans between receiving and delivering, I do wonder how they can be keeping track of where any package actually is, unless the records are all internal now (either way it's odd and counter-productive, since it would just increase customer inquiries - if they were at least fast, it wouldn't matter so much).

20-odd days does seem excessive, even for them, but they did often take 2 weeks before covid, so it may just be a delay and the package will yet arrive. I actually contacted my seller on day 14 as I was also concerned my package appeared to be stuck at the depot for the last two weeks,  and I wanted to know if this was normal for Aramex at the moment, and whether it was better for me or them to make an inquiry. They didn't answer whether it was the norm, just told me to contact them, so I can't shed any extra light there, other than what my experience was, but based on that I might be willing to wait and see for a little while longer, but do keep an eye on the timeframes for the MBG if necessary (I would probably contact the seller at this point anyway, just through a general inquiry, to give them a heads up - they may be a little more proactive than my seller was, and I never ended up needing to contact the company as by the time I had the answer from the seller, the package was "out for delivery"). 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for replying. I contacted the seller a few days ago and they just referred me to the courier. When I contacted the courier they said they had updated the tracking details. The tracking details were exactly the same. So both weren't helpful. What I found odd was within 2 hours of making the purchase tracking details were available and it was late at night. That just seemed odd. 

After checking feeback it's clear the seller is in China but claims to be in Sydney and Brisbane. They also claim delivery in 6 days. Yeah right. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

If they are in China, then they might be using UBI and shipping from there (it happens a lot). UBI is a postage system where the seller usually ships items in bulk and then the the orders are assigned individual postage labels once they arrive here, usually with Australia Post, but Fastway got involved last year some time. 

I often selected UBI from Chinese sellers as it was a good mix of economical and relatively quick, but once Fastway threw their hat into the ring, haven't used it much as they always took twice as long as Aus Post.

The shipping label was probably created almost immediately, but there's no telling how long it took (or will take) to actually be received and then delivered by them - with Aus Post, and from suppliers that shipped from China a few days after purchasing, it took an average of 3 weeks pre-covid. With Fastway / Aramex, it may take an extra week or two. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Fastway couriers are one of the worst couriers I have ever had the misfortune to come across & I will not buy from any seller using them. I ordered a mannequin to be delivered from Sydney to WA. The courier took nearly a week to pick up & then the parcel sat in the welshpool delivery centre (20 mins drive from my house) for over a week after it finally arrived in WA. Fastway are terrible in normal times, so I would say they would be horrendously slow in these present times.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for that info. I did wonder if the item was going to be sent from China. I only purchased from this particular seller because they claimed the item was in Australia (Sydney or Brisbane  - take your pick). Yet again Fastway replied to me saying tney have updated the tracking info but there still has been nothing happening since the item apparently arrived at their premises on 7 August. 

How can sellers get away with this? 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for replying. Now I will be paying closer attention to what couriers sellers are using. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

eBay will not touch sellers in China

They get away with it because people are not looking at feedback before buying

The feedback pages shows where the seller is registered and the feedback itself will have between dozens and hundreds of red dots (negatives) for the seller for lying about where the item is being sent from

I do hope it is not an electronic item, which will be a fake at best and a dangerous fire hazard at worst

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply