Seller refusing to give refund.

The seller said he would give me a refund if I returned the item in "perfect" condition. I did, but now he's claiming the battery is broken.

I insisted on sending him a replacement battery for it, but now he's saying:

"There is a lot of cost involved with this transaction, I bought this laptop for $65 and then I posted to you cost me $15 and then ebay and paypal fees cost about $8.

Now every cent going out for this transaction is from my pocket.

I do acknowledge that this is a inconveniences to you and that is why I have offering you $35, I could have sent back the item to you on your expense as it was returned damaged."

He is insisting on a $35 refund which is absolutely unacceptable seeing as I payed $75 for it.

What should I do? I closed the paypal dispute because it was obvious that he was going to win seeing as that I didn't give enough information at the time, and that paypal somehow skipped the part where the buyer "me" is supposed to give more information.. Do I call an ombudsman?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Why on earth did you close the dispute. The chances of you losing that was slim to none especially if you had tracking from posting the item back to him. There is pretty much nothing you can do now except if you funded your paypal payment with a credit card or visa debit then you could approach your bank and ask about doing a chargeback.
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

He claimed in the dispute that I didn't send it to him in the condition he received it in. Also PayPal screwed me over, and skipped the part where I supply more information. It's like they already found him in favor.

If they did give me that chance, I would've been able to supply the tracking number and a better explanation. If I had've done that, I would've won it.

I also payed for it using a visa prepaid debit card, so I'm pretty sure I'm screwed.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

@send_me_it wrote:

He claimed in the dispute that I didn't send it to him in the condition he received it in. Also PayPal screwed me over, and skipped the part where I supply more information. It's like they already found him in favor.

If they did give me that chance, I would've been able to supply the tracking number and a better explanation. If I had've done that, I would've won it.

I also payed for it using a visa prepaid debit card, so I'm pretty sure I'm screwed.

ok if it was me I would ring Paypal first. Tell them you accidently closed the dispute because the buyer claimed you didn't provide enough info. Tell them the item was sent back and you have the tracking number. If the buyer is claiming the item was not send back to him as in the same condition he doesn't have to refund but he cannot keep the item and the cash. that is stealing. 

See how you go there first then if not go to the bank and tell them the same thing that he has kept the item and the money.

next stop after that an email to the seller to say you will be reporting him to the online fraud department unless the original costs are refunded in 24 hours.

here is the online fraud department website.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/cscp/fraud/complaints.htm

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

1800 073 263 paypal number

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot.
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Oh and don't forget to tell paypal that you sent it back in the same condition it was sent to you originally

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

I was told by paypal staff that they cannot reopen the dispute. Also, I rung up Visa, and they said my card is not applicable for a chargeback.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

You could always ring Paypal back and threaten them with the FOS, otherwise the next stop will the police by the look of it. 😞
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

lol OP ..

busted

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply