Seller says he can't Refund because a Dispute has been Raised, But I Haven't Raised a Dispute.

O.K.

I was Negotiating with a Seller over a Faulty / Scam  SSD that Simply Doesn't Work.

He offered a Refund Which Didn't Happen. When I Asked again He Claimed He couldn't Refund Because a Dispute had been Raised.

I Didn't raise a Dispute  (I prefer to give People the Benefit of the Doubt & try to Resolve a Problem in a Friendly Manner)

Would EBAY raise a Dispute without Me Complaining to Them? How do I find if there is a Dispute Listed.

I have been with EBAY a Lot of Years and From memory have only had a Couple of Problems after 1500 Purchases So figure I'm doing O.K.

Regards Tony.M

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seller says he can't Refund because a Dispute has been Raised, But I Haven't Raised a Dispute.

Even if you *did* open a dispute, there is no reason the seller could not refund you while one was open

Dodgy sellers will use that as an excuse, so the buyer closes the dispute (which cannot then be re-opened) and of course they have no intension of refunding

No. eBay would have no idea the item was faulty and 'just open a dispute'  nor is complaining to eBay going to open one in any case

You do need to open and follow through with an item not as described dispute, and don't let this seller keep playing games and stringing you along

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Even if you *did* open a dispute, there is no reason the seller could not refund you while one was open

Dodgy sellers will use that as an excuse, so the buyer closes the dispute (which cannot then be re-opened) and of course they have no intension of refunding

No. eBay would have no idea the item was faulty and 'just open a dispute'  nor is complaining to eBay going to open one in any case

You do need to open and follow through with an item not as described dispute, and don't let this seller keep playing games and stringing you along

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry don't give them the benefit of doubt,  open an Item not as described dispute now before the allowable timeframe lapses.

And don't close it until you have the dollars in your hot hands, even if the seller makes a promise to pay if you do.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

IGNORE the seller  and abide by the rules as stated already

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I've had issues recently when trying to refund a buyer who had opened an INAD dispute that got escalated into a case. Not say that is what has happened here, but that sort of thing can happen. I had to contact eBay support to have the issue the refund and close the case in the end.

s-l1600.png

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

It should be possible to issue a refund through the return request!  

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Indeed, but OP claims they haven't opened a dispute.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

That was on the return request page, unfortunately.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply