Seller using Fake bidder to push up price (shill bidding)

I have noticed an increasing number of fake bidders pushing up the prices of items. What are the buyers legal right in relation to getting compensation for the amount paid over the other "real bidders".

Ebay does not seems to want to do anything to stop this, even when brought to their attention. The seller should have the item removed immediately and also if the purchase is completed be required to repay the overpaid amount to the winner purchaser.

If seller want an item to sell about a certain price the a reserve should be placed on the item.

This is fraud plain and simple

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you report shill bidding to ebay they will investigate.  If nothing is done it is because they cannot find a definite link between the accounts involved.

Shill bidding is a lot less common than you think....just because it looks like shilling it is not necessarily so.

And sellers cannot add a reserve price on ebay Australia unless it is a car, boat or caravan, or real estate.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Thank for your reply

I understand , and I have reported on many times and nothing happens. If a seller is selling a V8 Mustang and a Walking Frame Smiley LOLand other items, and the same zero feedback buyer is bidding on both or all the other sellers items its SO obvious its shilling.

If not a reserve then a starting price they are happy to sell the goods for.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Ebay doesn't care at all, just like some items from businesses that are not as described. Mainly chinese sellers
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

sellers can have a starting price maybe thats whatis needed for alot of sellers to stop problems with fake bids and sellers not going through with sales

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Hi,

I am sorry this has happened to you. We have only been concentrating on the Jewellery Sellers in Queensland, not sure what you were bidding on. Truly eBay Do Nothing. We all have had a heart wrenching time trying to stop these Criminals, But eBay only give them Warnings & you will never ever get your money back.

When eBay was ran from USA then action would be taken, not now I am afraid. It is the fee's they are after.

I cannot name these sellers in Queensland, but easy to find in 9ct 18ct Gold Auctions.

Seriously I have many Long Term Sellers as Friends on eBay but they have cut back all auctions. Now maybe a few items as how can they compete against these Criminals. Yes it is Fraud as eBay USA confirmed.

I will Not list anymore on my other site, how can I compete against these criminals.

Yes USA set a reserve but in Australia we do not have this luxury, so these Sellers use Friends to Bring Bidding Higher & Higher.

At last count between them there are about 130 Auctions running in Jewellery Section. Out of that maybe they honestly sell 60[with shill bidding], the rest are relisted again.

We have no hope when eBay in the Phillipines ignore our calls for help.

I have been an eBay memebr since 2005 so do know what is happening.

Shame on eBay!!

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

When selling at auction, do you get an up-to-date listing of current bidders and their bids?

I swear I just got done by a shill bid.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, you can see the current bidders list by clicking on (number of bids) at the top of the listing where you place your bid.

If you post the item title here someone can have a look and give an opinion as to whether there was shill bidding involved.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I too believe I have just been dudded by fake bidders.

It was a charity auction and to some exent the money is going to a good cause but I had newbies with 0 feedback push the price up from $400 to $575 which was my maximum bid.

Had this not happened I would have paid the $400 and added more as a donation.

Ebay is letting us all down, so too is Australia Post!

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Can you post the item number here so someone can have a look for you.  If there is a posibility of shill bidding the auction can be reported to ebay.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply