Seller using Fake bidder to push up price (shill bidding)

I have noticed an increasing number of fake bidders pushing up the prices of items. What are the buyers legal right in relation to getting compensation for the amount paid over the other "real bidders".

Ebay does not seems to want to do anything to stop this, even when brought to their attention. The seller should have the item removed immediately and also if the purchase is completed be required to repay the overpaid amount to the winner purchaser.

If seller want an item to sell about a certain price the a reserve should be placed on the item.

This is fraud plain and simple

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Seller using Fake bidder to push up price (shill bidding)

If it was a charity auction, people probably joined just to bid on it to support the charity.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

This thread is over 12 months old
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

That  can't be true about the reserved price as just a couple of days ago I was bidding on an item i think it was a rc helicopter and it had a message saying "reserve not met" or something like that.Unfortunately when that came up I stopped biding and deleted the item from my list so I can't give you the details of the item but it definetly wasn't a car,boat,caravan or real estate

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Was the item overseas?

There are no reserves on ebay Australia except in motor vehicles and real estate but they are allowed on other sites.  They are actually used quite extensively in the USA.  The UK only allows them on items above a certain value.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Oh dear. Sorry.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I'm seeing fake bidders all the time....especially a bidder that has 1 or 0 items to their name and they are bidding on a collectible item, very suspicious....some bidders i suspect as fake have a heap of bid retractions....that tells me therv'e won an auction but hadn't meant to win....and then allows their friend to relist it or try an suck in the poor real bidder that was pushed up but lost out.....such a shame nothing can be done about this.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

You've already posted your complaint in Community Feedback. From where, sometime in the next couple of years, it will be moved to (probably) Selling by the moderators.

Was there any need to bump a SIX year old thread in Buying as well?

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

You cannot retract a bid after winning an auction.....it has to be done before.

If you suspect shill bidding you can report it to ebay and they will take action if they can prove it is shilling.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply