Seller wanted me to pay outside of ebay, this is a scam and a possibly loop hole.

I was almost ripped of by a scammer who wanted me to pay him outside of ebay. This individual operating under the name of: [removed]Here is how the story goes I’ won a camera lens for $580 local pick up as advertised or ask seller for freight, so I did asked for the “total” , he asked me for my mobil and my email which was unusual for start. Than he sent me a message how can I pay him with paypal and he also emailed a random paypal invoice. I asked him to send me the total several times but he refused to even communicate trough ebay messaging or send the total trough ebay. We had some ill-mannered conversation trough texting I obviously knew this time he was a scammer. Actually he called me a scammer believe it or not. I’ve checked his feedback and the latest one was a negative which told the exactly the same story as mine, this feedback a day later was disappeared. This is the loop hole,: I also left a negative feedback with this story but since I haven’t “paid” my feedback was removed as well and he is still laughing in his armchair behind his computer. I tried to report this to ebay but no link or contact for this type.    

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Seller wanted me to pay outside of ebay, this is a scam and a possibly loop hole.

Try live chat from the help page.

Usually with pickups buyers are sent a QR code that is then scanned when the buyer picks up the item and pays.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Re: Seller wanted me to pay outside of ebay, this is a scam and a possibly loop hole.

Yes, that is a definite loophole if the feedback is removed because you haven't paid.

What a pity you didn't live close by and could have chosen pick up.

I'm not sure what his game is, because if a buyer picked up, paying cash, with the QR code thing, I don't think any scam would work.

Luckily though, you didn't pay him off ebay and it is definitely against ebay policy for him to ask you to, which he well knows, which is why he hasn't done it via ebay messaging.

I'd definitely do as papermoon lady suggests and contact live chat. Maybe take a screenshot of the messages on your phone so you can show them. This is one seller that needs a caution (at the very least) from ebay.

You and the previous buyer may have been savvy enough not to pay off ebay but newer buyers may not be and could end up without money or goods and with a non payment strike to add insult to injury!

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Yes at the pick up option he has to pay ebay fees, bad luck but usually we don't do pick up unless it is a wheelbarrow from the neighboring suburb.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply