Seller wont send to a PO Box, but wants good feedback???

shop0holic5
Community Member

Hi,

I would just like some advice, I have been in contact with the seller to advise that when I try to proceed to pay for item, it wont accept my PO Box, and wants an actual address.

The seller has said that if i give them 100% good feedback then they will cancel the item, but is this correct???  Why would I give feedback for an item I haven't recieved?  I have a very high rating myself, and I am worried that just becaue they said that if I give them good feedback that they will do the same.

Is there a way that they can just cancel the request or do I just give feedback and hope they are true to their word?? 

Any words of wisdom would be helpful, thanks

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller wont send to a PO Box, but wants good feedback???

The seller is still able to allow you to purchase the item (depending on their reasons for having the block), by sending you an invoice. This overrides the block. I used to have this block in place as I found that people were sometimes not going to their PO Box for weeks, and were giving bad feedback for 'postage time' as a result (completely unfair, as this was not my fault-- buyers were confusing this delay with 'seller's dispatch time').

After a while, I realised these were rare cases and that most buyers with PO Boxes do collect their mail quite frequently. I now feel much safer sending to a PO Box because of some of the reasons stated previously (i.e. package goes direct to the Post Office).

If PO is stated as an exception in the listing, it is the buyer's responsibility to read this. However, I found that most didn't, and eBay still allowed the 'BIN' to go through but not the payment. I always sent through an invoice, and never chose to cancel any of these transactions.

I can understand the seller's concern for feedback, as it can be confusing to fill out the stars when you have bought no item. It could result in low stars because no transaction actually took place. Moral of the story, for my particular items, I got rid of the block because it was too much trouble each time 'BIN' was clicked! However, your seller might have their own reasons.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

The reason the seller is asking for a positive is probably just because if they mutually cancel the transaction then you are still able to leave negative feedback. 

If they don't post to PO boxes it would have stated it in the listing. It is not something they can change afterwards.

They are also within their rights to refuse if they are uncomfortable with it.

Their other option is simply to do an unpaid item dispute and give you an unpaid item strike.. this is the safer way for a seller because the buyer can't leave feedback and if they have already left feedback then it is removed.

So it sounds like the seller is essentially saying,

"I don't mind cancelling the transaction and don't want to give you an unpaid item strike, but I don't want to risk receiving a negative"

There are a number of reasons not to post to PO Boxes.

Items are returned more frequently from not being picked up.

There is a higher risk of a credit card charge-back (fear of the risk is much greater than the actual risk)

Couriers won't deliver to PO Boxes.

Ask them why they don't post to PO Boxes.. it may have been a mistake in the listing. If you agree to leave feedback, they probably won't mind if you leave a positive saying "mutually cancelled"

If you try, the worst that will happen is that you'll fail. If you don't try, the worst that will happen is that you don't succeed.
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

WRONG !  PO Boxes are safer than street addresses for Australia Post mail/parcels

When selling, I love sending registered items to PO Boxes.  The reason being that there is a significantly reduced risk of item going missing.  No 'contractor signed and left it on the front step' or 'the guy that answered the door signed for it' or 'it was delivered to the wrong street' . . . . ALL of which can and do happen with some items sent to street addresses (some recent threads have been for these exact situations).

If a seller flat out refuses to send to my PO Box I just have it addressed to my work or my wife's work.  I do, however, try to convince them that it is safer for them to send to the PO Box.

I get couriered items sent to work address because, as stated by others, couriers do not deliver to PO Box addresses.

OK sorry for the wrong info

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

The only way that I can receive items is via my PO Box, Reason, I live in a small country town where there is NO MAIL DELIVERY other than to the post office. Everybody in the town has to pick up their mail from the PO. If an item is registered then a card is left in the box for the recipient to collect and sign for it INSIDE the PO. If the item will not fit into the box then a card is left etc. Couriers deliver to a central depot where the same thing applies. Supplying my street address makes no difference to where the item is delivered!!!! There are hundreds of thousands of people in the same position as me in "Country" Australia so if the seller refuses a PO Box address then they are morons, deal with somebody else!

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

if the seller refuses a PO Box address then they are morons, ...

As mentioned above, it is usually the courier not the seller that won't accept a PO Box address.

OP -

I have an arrangement with my PO that I use their street address for parcels that can't be delivered to a PO Box.

My address looks like:

My name

For street number I insert my po box number

c/- XYZ post office

123 South Street

Suburb State Postcode

I haven't had any problems with this ...

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Sadly I am one of those sellers to whom you may consider giving a negative. I use a courier for my 2 largest items, my courier service will not deliver to a PO Box, not even to a Post Office (which to me is ridiculous, however those are the rules and I must abide by them). For me to use A.Post  for the 2 items in question it would cost me more than the item is being sold for. So while I see your point and understand your frustration, there are other things to consider. Also, some large items will not be accepted by A.Post. I don't know what you have purchased, but if it is a large or heavy  item this may be the reason. 🙂

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Countbassie - sorry just read your post, that is the one time my courier will deliver to a Post Office, in a very rural town. Actually had one that was delivered to the local pub, one of only 2 establishments in the place that was open during delivery hours :^O

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply