Sellers have all the power

Hi all.

Most sellers are not going to like this rant but like dishonest buyers there are too many dishonest sellers out there.

This is the end result of a recent dispute with one such seller:

Seller is untrustworthy, this sort of problem is happening too often on Ebay - it is starting to give Ebay a bad name and rightly it should.
Sellers are using EBay's terms of return against buyers by holding off to the last minute in replying to buyers or other stalling tactics which results in going past the 45 day threshold thereby making it impossible to start a dispute and losing any chance of redress. Also, sellers can send any **bleep** they want to buyers resulting in a dispute or requiring the return of an item, under EBay's policy, for inspection and/or refund AT THE BUYERS COST which ultimately costs MORE than the item, leaving the buyer with nothing but a debt and the seller with the item back to sell to another unknowing buyer to be ripped off.

Now in this instance I received the item just before the 45 days expired but it still didnt come with all the agreed items so I needed to vent my frustrations.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Sellers have all the power

@ytwo000 wrote:

so what happens if i sold eg,a ride on law mower on some other site (any site other than ebay) and the buyer paid via paypal and picks it up?.they can say to paypal "i never got my mower" and get their money back? or dose this only apply if postage is involved?..

That's why most sellers won't accept paypal for pickup items.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Paypal has no buyer or seller protection for pick up items.

The cutoff date for to open a Paypal claim has increased from 45 days to 180 days.  I doubt many buyers will be put off  and accept delays of 180 days for a parcel to arrive. Even overseas sea mail arrives in half that time.

Yes, sellers are dodgy when they don't send items, and use delaying tactics on buyers. They are taking advantage of buyers who are patient and polite. There are also sellers who are dodgy in other ways.. describe a clothing item as 'as new' and it arrives with food stains on it.. don't pack their items adequately and they are damaged in the post etc...

Is it mainly overseas sellers (China especially) that use these delaying tactics?

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Is it mainly overseas sellers (China especially) that use these delaying tactics?

Yes, but'you'll find that it's primarily because the delivery times for standard post from o/s are so much longer than from local/Aussie locations. If Aus Post took a few weeks or more to deliver I dare say you would have seen a lot of stalling from quite a few Aussie sellers too (not the good/honest sellers ofc). Dishonesty doesn't discriminate.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

I have had chinese sellers refund INR's only to have the item turn up after 6 weeks, or even received original plus replacement.

They get a lot of claims for slow or lost post items that are not genuine, just impatient, so I can understand the delaying. It is a fine line, you have to take it into account when buying cheap stuff from China.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Yes I agree, it will no doubt have the potential for abuse.  Pity about human nature and all its faults eh.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

@6345.xsnrgy wrote:

Hi all.

Most sellers are not going to like this rant but like dishonest buyers there are too many dishonest sellers out there.

This is the end result of a recent dispute with one such seller:

Seller is untrustworthy, this sort of problem is happening too often on Ebay - it is starting to give Ebay a bad name and rightly it should.
Sellers are using EBay's terms of return against buyers by holding off to the last minute in replying to buyers or other stalling tactics which results in going past the 45 day threshold thereby making it impossible to start a dispute and losing any chance of redress. Also, sellers can send any **bleep** they want to buyers resulting in a dispute or requiring the return of an item, under EBay's policy, for inspection and/or refund AT THE BUYERS COST which ultimately costs MORE than the item, leaving the buyer with nothing but a debt and the seller with the item back to sell to another unknowing buyer to be ripped off.

Now in this instance I received the item just before the 45 days expired but it still didnt come with all the agreed items so I needed to vent my frustrations.

Sellers have all the power??????

Buyers have ALL the rights !

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

How about all the buyers have the power I think,I have a buyer at the moment who has been nothing but problematic and has been stalling to pay,has asked for invoices more than 10 times then changed their mind so asked for another invoice then changed their mind again every second day.I have told them just pay and stop playing games,no response then all of a sudden a request for another invoice **bleep**???

Finally I had enough and sent a request to cancel and so far nothing so I hope they don't reply so this can end.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Very interesting and informative, thank you Narelle.
Yes the WORST culprits are the Asians.
Almost impossible to understand their jibberish replies and they drag things out for ever then expect you to send $20 items back at your cost for more than what the item is worth, very bad service.
Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

Yea the big one is items unpacked properly now that I think of it.
You finally get an item past the 45 day mark and....hello its damaged in transit.
No recourse now and seller wants photos, drags it out more and then says return item at my cost for a refund or send another item..... yea right.
Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Yea but in my MANY cases stuff has never turned up.
Have never had original and replacement show up.
Also when items do show up I have had to sign for most of them which gives the seller proof I have received the item.
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply