Sellers weird excuse for item delay

So I paid for an item that was marked posted early to mid November. Got a weird email yesterday with some nonsense about the government of India demoneterising 500 and 1000 currencies causing a delay and that my parcel had just been passed on to a customs agent for onward forwarding. Further that it would be another 30-45 days to arrive. This would put it outside the realms of claiming. When would it be appropriate to report it as not arriving? And through eBay or Paypal?

Is it just me or are sellers increasingly marking stuff posted well before actually sending an item? I buy a fair bit from overseas (due to lack of availability in Australia) but a particularly bad run of it lately in the lead up to Christmas.
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sellers weird excuse for item delay

sounds sus to me but if you paid via paypal you can still open up a paypal case even after the ebay 30 day  deadline

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

With an ebay claim you have 30 days after the last date that the item is expected to arrive.  Ebay is better for a claim for item not as described as the seller has to pay return postage if they want the item back.

You can open a claim in paypal at any time and it is the best option for item not received....it is quicker than an ebay claim.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

How long is INR through PayPal? Is it still 45 days from payment date?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I always laugh at the "if you paid with PayPal" comments. As if you'd pay any other way......
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

PayPal is now 180, or basically 6 months, so you have plenty of time. The 45 day thing went out a couple of years ago.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
I always laugh at the "if you paid with PayPal" comments. As if you'd pay any other way......

Don't laugh....you would be surprised at the number of trusting souls who come to the boards complaining about losing their money after believing the seller when he says his paypal is not working.Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

For what it's worth, India demonetorising (or whatever it's called) is true - something to do with trying to stop people hoarding cash because of fears about the banking system. It's been on the news lately because it's caused all sorts of problems, especially for the poor who are more likely to hoard their cash - and now can't buy food because the notes are worthless.

I can't speak to what effect this may or may not have on eBay transactions/postage/customs etc, but the story is definitely true.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@nevillesdaughter wrote:

For what it's worth, India demonetorising (or whatever it's called) is true - something to do with trying to stop people hoarding cash because of fears about the banking system. It's been on the news lately because it's caused all sorts of problems, especially for the poor who are more likely to hoard their cash - and now can't buy food because the notes are worthless.

I can't speak to what effect this may or may not have on eBay transactions/postage/customs etc, but the story is definitely true.

Cheers,

Marina.

Agreed, I have seen similar news stories.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

Is it just me or are sellers increasingly marking stuff posted well before actually sending an item? I buy a fair bit from overseas (due to lack of availability in Australia) but a particularly bad run of it lately in the lead up to Christmas.

Dont know about India, but if a seller processes a shipping payment via eaby or click and send (in Aus) then as soon as payment for postal label is made it is marked as posted that day in ebay, unless seller overrides it, regardless of when it actually goes in the post.

Hence an actual tracking event is the only real confirmation an item is posted.

There is no unethical reason for deliberately not posting once postage cost has been paid by seller. Unavoidable delays and oversights do occur of course. Especially as ebay is now pushing sellers to actually counter lodge rather than use street boxes.

Maybe the same type of issues apply overseas?

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply