Shill Bidding

Does anyone know what happens when sellers are found guilty of shill bidding.. I caught someone out over the weekend..

I don't know how they sleep at night, ripping people off!

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Shill Bidding

Not a lot IMO- ie I reported 2 people afew years ago & the only thing that happened was that seller was restricted to buy it now listings for about a month & nothing seemed to happen to the fake bidding id-pfft.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

Ebay will often act on obvious accounts of shilling, however seeing as not all situations are obvious, benefit of the doubt is and should be given.

Then if there are multiple reports in a period of time and from different members, more action may be taken.

A few months ago I reported an obvious case with multiple accounts, within a few hours all the listings were removed and a message sent to all bidders not to pay if you have already won. 

image host
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

This is also another I reported -

Thank you for contacting eBay with regard to your report about a bidder
on the listing of xxxxxxxxx. I understand the frustration youโ€™re
feeling since it is unfair because it takes away the essence of an
honest auction.

Rest assured that I already have taken appropriate action on xxxxxxxxx
and their bidder's account basing on our strict Shill Bidding Policy.

Consequences ranged from a warning to closing their account. Sometimes
sanctions on a sellerโ€™s account are not made public, such as selling
restrictions and loss of selling discounts, and privileges. I had also
taken action on the listing as this is to prove that members who violate
any of our site policy will be dealt with accordingly.

Ebay CAN prove shilling when they have access to IP addresses. As well a simple phone number check can see if accounts come from the same suburb. That is of course not proof as the same IP addresses, but can warrant further investigations or red-flagging accounts.

image host
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

garvoc3265
Community Member

COPENHAGEN DONT YOU ALREADY HAVE A HOBBY. MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONCENTRATE ON THAT.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

rumplebear1951
Community Member

garvoc3265...is there any particular reason why you are yelling?

All it does is make your post harder to read.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

Ebay CAN prove shilling when they have access to IP addresses.

Are proxies allowed on eBay? I mean, can eBay block the use of proxies? Because otherwise dishonest people could use proxies to access their multiple accounts... X-(

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

Are proxies allowed on eBay? I mean, can eBay block the use of proxies? Because otherwise dishonest people could use proxies to access their multiple accounts... X-(

IP address means nothing - many organisations have onely one IP address that services 10's or 100's or even 1000's of users. Ebay uses more than IP address checks to check that any accounts are linked.

People also forget that Shill Bidding need not be done with the same computer. Any half-smart shiller would just use their friend's computer, or a dialup account or a USB internet stick or the next door neighbour, or ...

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

A proxy server can be used to access ebay. They can decide to block the proxy IP address.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Shill Bidding

Waves to Kopes ๐Ÿ™‚  and wonders what you have done to upset the neswest PITA on the boards ๐Ÿ˜‰

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 10 of 32
Latest reply