Shill Biding

Hey guys,

Need some advise, I just purchased an Item from a seller but I havent made the payment yet.

I should have won this item for $410 but it ended up going to $810 (my max bid of $850). They guys made 16 bids in $20 increments. I was also going to bid on another item from the same seller when I realised that the same person that had pushed up the price on the first item i purchased was the same person pushing up the price for the second item i was also bidding on.

I then stopped bidding. Both of these items have been sold previously with the same other bidder winning both items only for them to be relisted again.

Also I can't see the ID of the of the fake bidder because it is masked for security purposes but his feedback number of 106 is the same. when I went onto this fake bidders bidding history, the bidders Bid activity (%) with this seller was 56%.

Am i paranoid or is this sus? Also what can I do about it becasue this has really turned me off purchasing this item.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Shill Biding

@4channel wrote:

It's a nasty business. The shill is a sock-puppet type of ID and it was only in the last 2 years that I realized I had been done like that in 2003 / 2004.

Best you follow springyzone's advice which sums it up very well.

Same here, 4channel, although I struck it a bit later than that, when the person who was top bidder was able to retract a bid 24 hours later, just before the final few hours, after having made numerous other bids to drive up the price. I was left the winner, which I did not discover till days later. I have sometimes thought if a person retracts a bid and does not re-bid, then all their bids on that particular auction should be cancelled.

It's a nasty feeling when you suspect you have been manouvred into exposing your top bid.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Interesting that you mentioned that... I confronted him about it and he he pretty much didn't deny it and said he had the set price he wanted.

I'm also winning a few other items that he is selling, (bids placed before all this **bleep** came up), when I went to retract my bids it would not let me. (stuff supporting someone that tried to screw me!)

A message from eBay came up stating my account has been blocked from interacting with this seller???

There was also more shill bidding on the other items that I am winning. I had placed my max bid price on 3 times, then 5 other accounts

100% bidding with the seller and all 5 accounts all bidding on the same items that I am winning!

This bloke doesn't learn.
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

To be honest you are allowing this to happen, if you're serious about winning actions then you should be putting your highest bid on in the last minute or so of the auction - or use a sniping service like Gixen if you aren't available at the end of the auction.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Yea I learnt that the hard way!
Message 14 of 14
Latest reply