Shill Biding

Hey guys,

Need some advise, I just purchased an Item from a seller but I havent made the payment yet.

I should have won this item for $410 but it ended up going to $810 (my max bid of $850). They guys made 16 bids in $20 increments. I was also going to bid on another item from the same seller when I realised that the same person that had pushed up the price on the first item i purchased was the same person pushing up the price for the second item i was also bidding on.

I then stopped bidding. Both of these items have been sold previously with the same other bidder winning both items only for them to be relisted again.

Also I can't see the ID of the of the fake bidder because it is masked for security purposes but his feedback number of 106 is the same. when I went onto this fake bidders bidding history, the bidders Bid activity (%) with this seller was 56%.

Am i paranoid or is this sus? Also what can I do about it becasue this has really turned me off purchasing this item.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shill Biding

What's the item number ?

Seems sus from what you have said.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

hey mate,

The Item I ended up winning: 

Item number 224151739911 was previosuly listed as 224119945471.

The other item that I stopped bidding on:
Item number 224146968994 was previosuly listed as 224129553625.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

The 106 bidder seems to have gone to a max of 800 so that might simply be his max.

Seeing as these are collectables, it's not unusual to bid on other items from same seller, unusual if same bidder bids on different type items.

But seeing as bidder 106 also won the items last month then that is very sus and appears to be a shill account. Especially since 106 won it for more last time than he bid this time.

Your account could look like a shill account seeing as you have 39 bid retractions.

image host
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

Thanks for your feedback.

I had a feeling that was the case. Is there anything I could possibly do about it or not really?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

Every listing has a report link and there is a specific report reason for shilling.

I think it's something like - seller using an account to inflate the price.

eBay can often see if it's the case or not.

Perhaps ask the seller you would like to cancel feeling the auction was rigged.

image host
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

The 106 bidder has bid on 90% of their higher priced completed items that finished above $50 so definitely a shill account to boost the price.

You could message the seller and ask for a cancellation as you believe the 106 is a shill account and that they won this same item for $811 on the 21 Aug 2020  which they the seller then relisted.

I've already reported it for shill bidding and the only way you can do it is to go to the original listing not the completed one.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

Thanks man, appriciate your help.

In regards to the 39 bid retractions most of them where in situations like this. They were obvious because the other account was a newly created account and I hate purchasing items of cheats.

Thanks Anyways

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

If you haven't made payment yet, don't.

And tell the seller why & that you are reporting it to ebay. Say you want it cancelled.

He will deny it is rigged of course but it lets him know you are on to him.

If he opens an unpaid item claim, hopefully you will already have reported it for shill bidding so you shouldn't get a strike but hey, what if you do? One can't hurt you.

The seller will probably block you from furhter purchases but really, if there is shill bidding going on, you probably won't want to bif again anyway. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Shill Biding

It's a nasty business. The shill is a sock-puppet type of ID and it was only in the last 2 years that I realized I had been done like that in 2003 / 2004.

Best you follow springyzone's advice which sums it up very well.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply