Should I have to pay for item return. It has 4 tags clearly marked with 2 different sizes on them

Purchased pants size 18 .When arrived they had 2 size 16 tags and 1 tag 18 and Invoice size 18.  Size 18 required.To Return this item

I have to pay another $7 as item was full price not discounted with $10 postage. As the mistake was on the market seller it should

be returned collect postage. I started a return before I found about the extra postage as a long time user this was my first return.

jkf20000

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Should I have to pay for item return. It has 4 tags clearly marked with 2 different sizes on

How hard is it to open a dispute in paypal and send the item back?   I guess everyone has their own idea of what is too difficult.

By the way, don't pull the age card on the boards.....age has no bearing on purchasing on ebay.   You can't expect special treatment because of age.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: Should I have to pay for item return. It has 4 tags clearly marked with 2 different sizes on

@jkf20000 wrote:

Purchased pants size 18 .When arrived they had 2 size 16 tags and 1 tag 18 and Invoice size 18.  Size 18 required.To Return this item

I have to pay another $7 as item was full price not discounted with $10 postage. As the mistake was on the market seller it should

be returned collect postage. I started a return before I found about the extra postage as a long time user this was my first return.

jkf20000

If the return case you opened indicated you were to pay return postage, then you would have had to select a change of mind reason for the return (I'm guessing "wrong size" was selected, which indicates to eBay that you selected the wrong size, not that the size was incorrectly stated in the description). 

If you receive a size other than the one you ordered, this counts as item not as described (or doesn't match the description), in which case the seller is liable for the return postage costs.

I am curious as to what the seller has said in all of this? Have you actually been communicating with them at all?

If the pants had a tag that said 18 on them, it's possible they just made an unintentional error and would be quite happy to arrange a return for you with or without you opening a dispute against them, if you just talk to them about it. 

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I feel for you, but please don't play the age card. There are plenty here that are way older than you. I am not one of them, but we have regulars who are late 80's and even into the 90's. Please do as suggested and open a PayPal dispute for item not as described. Or, you could list the pants and sell them yourself. If you've never sold anything, there are plenty here who can help you set up a listing. You may not get what you paid, but you might get something for them.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

HI 

I did order  garment  size 18  my size the pants I  received had a lable attached to waist of pants that said 16. the sewn on tag inside had size 16 on it too. also attached was a garment cardboard tag the one with thin plastic line you have to cut off. it said size 18 their invoice to me also stated that the pants were a size 18. I tried on pants they are 16 size. The mistake I make was not contacting before I started refund as when I looked at their Invoice it said I had to return garment and pay postage. so I cancelled return . WhichEbay then presumes I am keeping garment. I contacted seller twice explaining what had happened  Reply do return in Purchase history but item not now in Purchase site but Return site  cannot print postage lable in this site . I thank all who relplied to help me but as first time ever return in EBay it is a lesson learnt. took me 13 yrs though . In all I sent 4 emails but after first 2 have been ignored. Gave the pants to charity .

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I still don't understand why you did not just open a paypal dispute to get the refund.  You could have had a refund f the return postage too if you had followed the instructions.

Thee was a time when paypal was the only buyer protection on offer and after using both systems I would go with paypal every time.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@jkf20000 wrote:

HI 

I did order  garment  size 18  my size the pants I  received had a lable attached to waist of pants that said 16. the sewn on tag inside had size 16 on it too. also attached was a garment cardboard tag the one with thin plastic line you have to cut off. it said size 18 their invoice to me also stated that the pants were a size 18. I tried on pants they are 16 size. The mistake I make was not contacting before I started refund as when I looked at their Invoice it said I had to return garment and pay postage. so I cancelled return . WhichEbay then presumes I am keeping garment. I contacted seller twice explaining what had happened  Reply do return in Purchase history but item not now in Purchase site but Return site  cannot print postage lable in this site . I thank all who relplied to help me but as first time ever return in EBay it is a lesson learnt. took me 13 yrs though . In all I sent 4 emails but after first 2 have been ignored. Gave the pants to charity .

I realise that if you have never had to do a thing before, it can be a bit daunting or confusing.

It is a shame the seller did not reply to you after you cancelled the return.

Had I been the seller, I would have been only too willing to help. It sounds as if it may have been an honest mistake but all the same, the item definitely was misrepresented in the ad.

But as lyndal said, if ever a purchase goes wrong again, just know you have 2 avenues.

There is the ebay return system itself and never cancel a return once it is opened until you have a result-and that isn't just the seller saying there will be a result either.

If that fails though, you can actually go through paypal for a refund.

I had to go through paypal once and found the process very smooth and easy to use, no trouble getting my money back.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply