Should I leave negative feedback?

I was to contact the resolution centre tomorrow if the seller had not sent the item or been in contact. However the item has now arrived, no comment from seller.

I foolishly thought the seller had a high feedback but after the purchase I saw they had 49 negatives, yet still selling . I was buying on a family members behalf, so did not even think to double check the feedback .
My problem is I can see this seller is "iffy" & I dont want anyone else to be caught out, yes I was lucky to get the goods but I am reluctant to leave good feedback.

Would appreciate some advice, thank you.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You also have the option to leave neutral feedback with a comment that describes the transaction to warn others.

Although others can see from all the other feedback what the seller is like.

Or if you are not sure, don't leave any feedback. Feedback is optional.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You also have the option to leave neutral feedback with a comment that describes the transaction to warn others.

Although others can see from all the other feedback what the seller is like.

Or if you are not sure, don't leave any feedback. Feedback is optional.

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for that, very helpful.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I don't think you should leave negative feedback unless you are unsatisfied with the transaction.     You should only judge on what your experience has been.      Was the item as described?   If so, you can only leave positive, IMO.

Other buyers can see the person's feedback, it is not up to you to point it out.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

I'm assuming the parcel arrived late and you had opened a case, but it would be interesting to know just how late it was and how far it had to travel etc

Here's how I would consider it. I would not worry about how any other people rated their transactions, only how my own went. Now, if my item did not arrive by the expected date, I would give it a couple of extra days but then contact the seller to let them know.

I get the feeling you did contact the seller. Your post sounds as if you contacted them, had no reply, then contacted resolution centre and the item arrived just before you were to take things further.

If I had no reply from that seller for several days, I would be extremely unimpressed, especially if it is a high volume seller.

The item may have been on its way when you contacted resolution centre but the critical point is, the seller should have had some communication.

So how would I rate the seller?

Did they mark the icon in the My Ebay section, to let you know if it had been posted?

Was the item posted in a reasonable time after you bought it? Even if it arrived late, what matters most is how soon it was posted out.

Did the seller answer your queries in a  reasonable time?

Were you happy with the item?

If the answer to all those is yes, you would be able to give a positive.

If they didn't answer you & were slow to post out, I would consider a neutral with a comment to suit.

Otherwise, just don't give any feedback at all, not if you weren't completely happy.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the item was received in good condition and as described I would give the seller a positive.

The way to show your displeasure at the lte postage and poor communication is in the stars.  Mark them down if you were unhappy.

You don't need to base your feedback on what other members have left...it is your experience that is what you are rating.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@taigem38 wrote:

I foolishly thought the seller had a high feedback but after the purchase I saw they had 49 negatives, yet still selling . I was buying on a family members behalf, so did not even think to double check the feedback .
My problem is I can see this seller is "iffy" & I dont want anyone else to be caught out, yes I was lucky to get the goods but I am reluctant to leave good feedback.

Would appreciate some advice, thank you.

what if the last 45 negatives are from buyers who thought that they should give a negative to warn others that the seller might be "iffy" because of other members leaving negative feedback?

Rate your trading experience with this seller and do not try to second guess what experiences other buyers have had.

If you leave a neg for a seller who sent you the item you paid for then what would be appropriate feedback for a seller who doesn't send your item?

Save the negs for the really bad sellers, and a seller who takes your money and sends your item IS NOT a seller worthy of a negative from you.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I saw they had 49 negatives

and over 8000 positve ??  where is the issue ?

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I just bothered to look into the feedback the OP has left for others.  This is the feedback they left in the last month for a seller with over 1100 negs in the last 12 months :

negs OP.JPG

and here are the feedback figures for that seller for the last 12 months

negs OP 2.JPG

Now, I can see that this is a high volume seller and that their % is still high, but why wouldn't the OP try to warn others about this seller even if they had a good experience buying three items?

Maybe this thread is just a bit of a wind up, or a tanty because the seller didn't tell them their item had been sent, OR (more likely) it is just eBay's stupid delivery estimate giving an impatient buyer a reason to panic about their purchase going by this part of the Opening Post "I was to contact the resolution centre tomorrow if the seller had not sent the item or been in contact" and then the item arrived without the seller communicating.

**good grief**

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

49 negs didn't stop you from buying so how much more impacting would 50 be?

I would always leave feedback based on my transaction, I can have no idea it the other negs are deserved or not and as Lyndal said the way to point out the shortcomings in communication and delivery is through the stars.

If you are not sure about what feedback to leave then leave none at all but unless your item is significantly not as described you have no real justification for leaving a neg or if it was less than a happy experience a pos.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply