Signature fraud Sendle?

A ebay seller sent my delivery via Sendle. Sendle notified me that the parcel had been delivered, but it had not. I asked them about it and I got an email telling me the parcel was delivered and the attached image is proof of delivery.

But that is NOT my signature. It sure looks like a signature, and it's my name but it's not my signature.

A lot of back and forth and two weeks later they finally told me the name in the signature box is NOT a signature, it's what the driver puts to show it was dropped off at a collection point. And unfortunately, the parcel is lost and I should contact the sender for a refund.

To me, that looks like a forged signature and they tried to just fob me off with it, saying I have the parcel, that it was signed for. Or am I wrong and it's normal thing to do?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Signature fraud Sendle?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

That looks like "Dropoff"  to me and it is quite appropriate for the current COVID delivery rules.

I would never buy anything from a seller using courier delivery as too many things can go wrong....and I hate these collection points as they are always too far from my home.

Why should the seller be responsible for the parcel going missing....it should be Couriers Please who were tasked with the delivery.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

Hello, wolfwebau,

It is a common occurrence to have what looks like a signature in the signature panel, signifying that the item safe-dropped. I believe it's also used in the circumstances you've described.

I experienced something similar in 2018, when some electronic equipment did not seem to have been delivered. The courier company sent me a scan of the signed delivery note. The "signature" turned out to be the acronym ATL ("Authority to leave") and the boxes of equipment had been placed somewhere I'd never have thought to look had it not been for trying everywhere possible. I posted about it at the time.

Are you absolutely certain that you have looked everywhere that your parcel could possibly be? If it's lost at a collection point, of course, that's another story...

I hope it is resolved for you.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

Who said anything about the seller being responsible? I  don't think you even read this properly, just rushed some random answer. And covid safe rules in your world consists of signing the receivers signature? Weird world you are in.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

Thanks for your reply, except it was my name in cursive writing that is in the receiver signature box, not "ATL" looking very much like a signature and they tried to tell me my signature was proof it was delivered to me and I signed for it until I persisted for two weeks to have it escalated. I don't have it, they finally told me it was dropped off at a collection point, not delievered to me.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

Why ask the question if you know the answer? ie It has nothing to do with eBay.

If you are looking for answers, maybe provide the pertinent information up front. Not dribble it in when you don't get the answers you're looking for.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

You could contact the "Postal industry Ombudsman" about it, I sure would it, seems you aren't getting anywhere with the problem.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

Sendle are - by all accounts - fantastic....until there's a problem, then they are absolutely terrible. 

If it was an ATL drop-off / safedrop, this status should be reflected properly. If it's standard practice under current circumstances, then there should be a way to differentiate between "signed for by recipient" and "droppped off at premises" - a logistics company, which all courier services / brokers are, should have this as standard, and the practice of the delivery driver signing the recipient's name is questionable, to say the least. Regardless of what actually happened, this creates a false record of events. 

It also sounds like no proper investigation was carried out, if they at first insisted you'd signed for it, and then came back to say it was droppped off somewhere else a couple of weeks later - this is exactly the kind of problem caused by creating fasle delivery records! 

Personally I would never ship with them, or (knowingly) buy from a seller using them, as Sendle's customer service leaves an extreme amount to be desired. Issues can happen with any business, but it's how a business deals with those issues that distinguish them as a good or bad company to deal with - a friend of mine experienced something similar to you, in that a package said delivered but no package in sight (they were home all day). When they contacted Sendle about it, they were told that it's delivered as far as they were concerned, but they couldn't say where or who to, and that Sendle's TOS allow the drivers to deliver packages to neighbours if they can't access the recipient's property. They didn't even say that's what happened, just threw it in there as a possibility, and of course that meant they didn't provide any usable info as to where or to whom the package had been delivered. 

To answer the question, though, no, it is not a "normal" thing to do in the sense that it's ok, though anecdotally it happens with every delivery service here and there. 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

thats a worry....reading this....not good at all

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Signature fraud Sendle?

@wolfwebau wrote:

Who said anything about the seller being responsible? I  don't think you even read this properly, just rushed some random answer. And covid safe rules in your world consists of signing the receivers signature? Weird world you are in.

You said that Sendle told you to contact the sender for a refund....how is that NOT making the seller responsibl for the parcel being missing.

The Covid safe rules in the COURIER industry consist (amongst other things) of NOT getting signatures on delivery....and you said that it was not your signature anyway.

These rules have been in force since March 2020.

I did say that the "Signature" looks to me like the word dropoff and that is consistent with what you were told.

If you want answers at least read what you are being told.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply