Stopping fraudulent companies selling so called new phones when they are clearly not

How do we stop fraudulent companies selling so called new phones when they are clearly not. this is my 5th experience with 5 different companies. All claiming new phone. This last one, looked good, but finally the battery gave out. Took it to Apple care where they told me, the battery was non genuine, and had leaked. The insides had stuff missing. the case had been glued and had started to break apart and the front screen had been replaced too.

When I asked the seller, yes new.

15 months later, no warranty.

The other one went for a week at battery life went to 94 %. That was easy to work out. 

I think they should be fined heavily and forced to refund monies no matter how long it is. Non genuine part in a phone are definitely not new. Also the buyer should keep the phone to smash against a wall. so the seller can't then re sell it after they have clearly violated the new phone category.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Stopping fraudulent companies selling so called new phones when they are clearly not

Why on earth would you purchase any phone on line let alone 5.  The only way to do that is to purchase from manufacturer or a licenced reseller.  Anyone can say anything on an ad and unfortunately people believe them.  Warranties mean nothing if not from a genuine seller.  If seller is in Asia forget it as no way can it be enforced.  You need to do your due diligence.  If the price seems too good to be true that should send up red flags for you. 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Stop buying from them, stop helping them stay in business and then complaining they are still in business 

5? really?

How many of these 5 companies were authorised sellers?

How many were registered in Australia?

Dollars to donuts, zero

And hence, zero warranty 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

As said you need to do your homework when buying on-line.

Check feedback to see where the seller is registered - that's often where the items are coming from.

Be very wary of high-volume sellers with less than 99.5% feedback.

DON'T buy electrical or electronic items on-line unless they are authorised Australian sellers/resellers of the item.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Why would you buy phones from random Ebay sellers instead of going into a store or ordering directly from Apple, Optus, etc?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Ebay isn't the place to buy those sorts of things. Not unless you're buying from an authorised seller and even then, quite frankly, I would go into a store if you're after new with a warranty.

Ebay isn't going to stop those fraudulent sellers, especially not if they are located in China. The Chinese knock off products with impunity. But even for items located here, ebay isn't in the business of examining each item listed on their website. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. Paypal has 180 days.

Sounds as if the products you buy last longer and are well outside the 30 day ebay claim period.

It would be hard for you to prove you have been sent a second hand, non genuine phone. Even if you got Apple to sign a form to say the one you took in is a poor replica, how do you prove beyond doubt it is the one the seller sent 15 months ago?

Don't put yourself in this position. Don't buy electricals etc on ebay, that's the only real way to protect yourself. Don't go in to the ring for a 6th round.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

02EE5AD1-6487-4034-AB22-7C5F120FE661.jpeg

5 times and counting! ๐Ÿ˜‰

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

you stop purchasing things on ebay thats how.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I'm just hoping the first 2 letters of the ID - are not a job description. ๐Ÿคฃ

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Then why are you buying stuff from here??  And why pay $1800.00 for a iPhone 13 when you only want to make some calls / texts etc. I suppose I can say that you are being scammed by Apple / Microsoft etc, to buy the new phone, computer / program , TV. etc. Wake up to yourselves as well, what you want keep up with the Jones / The Smiths / Vanderbuilt's.

Australian law is still applicable to eBay and those that use their platform. 12 months warranties plus there a few others that you won't understand.

And I thought this was a forum for intelligent people, but I was wrong about that too. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply