TOO MANY EMAILS!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

This email thing is driving me mad.

I have turned off everything I can turn off, and a quick look through my inbox still shows the following USELESS emails from eBay. I have bought about a dozen small items in the last week, so multiply all of these by 12:

CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ORDER

This email tells me what I just did 30 seconds ago, when I completed checkout. I do not need this email. I may drink a lot, but I know what I did 30 seconds ago.

My relationship with Safeway seems to do just fine, despite the lack of emails from them telling me what I just bought. Freaky huh.

RECEIPT FOR YOUR PAYMENT

Another email, this time from Paypal, telling me what I just did. Just in case I missed the one from eBay telling me the same thing.

UPDATES FOR YOUR PURCHASE

So a day or two later the seller has shipped my item. Whoop-de-do. I don't care. I will only care if it doesn't show up by the time I was expecting to see it, at which point I will begin my investigation by logging in to eBay. I DON'T CARE that the Chinese widget seller has shipped my $2 item. I expected them to send it. That's why I paid them. I don't email my boss every morning to tell him I turned up for work. It's just kind of understood.

If I'm really lucky, the seller will also send me their own email, just in case I didn't receive the compulsory email that eBay sent to the same address, telling me they have been so decent as to send me the item I paid them for, and how to show my gratitude via the feedback system.

That's THIRTY SIX 'compulsory' emails, PLUS direct seller emails giving me the same info, in the last few days alone. NOT ONE OF WHICH I actually need to read. What I DID NOT receive was an email telling me that I had won an auction on which I had placed my bid over a week ago - the first I knew of that was when the seller emailed me an invoice (I have the 'won' email turned off, because 50 emails in an average week telling me what I just did would have me LIVING MY ENTIRE LIFE IN CAPS).

Come on eBay, this is ridiculous. I have been buying and selling on eBay under a number of ID's for over 10 years now, I should be able to turn off all this idiotmail leaving the channel clear for important stuff like auction wins and sellers with problems. These days I am mostly buying BIN items and checking out immediately, and the flood of useless carp that lands in my inbox after even a modest shopping session is absurd and it means that important emails get lost in all the noise.

I have found no other website that needs to do it, what makes eBay so special?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: TOO MANY EMAILS!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

I haven't read all your post, but I don't even open them and as I have a seperate email for ebay n PayPal, I simply tick all and delete.

But your right, a little over the top. Especially if a seller uses auctiva as well. Some emails are doubled.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Hi kopenhagen5, thanks for replying.

I have a seperate email for ebay n PayPal, I simply tick all and delete.

I've seen people suggest this before, but what if you have genuinely forgotten about an auction, or if a seller has a question for you?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

how about going into communication preferences:

Choose how and when you want to receive notifications from eBay about your buying and selling activities.

There might be some options that you can say NONE

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Hi kopenhagen5, thanks for replying.

I have a seperate email for ebay n PayPal, I simply tick all and delete.

I've seen people suggest this before, but what if you have genuinely forgotten about an auction, or if a seller has a question for you?

I just look at my ebay account, messages will appear there and check buying/selling reminders.

image host
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

You could just delete them and not read them at all, that's what I do... If you don't want to see the PayPal email, then you can just redirect it to a spam folder but you can't stop them sending it completely, anytime you use PayPal at any online store you'll get a receipt; this is not an ebay function it's designated by your choice of payment.. 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I read ALL of the OP & am ROFPMSL

Wortgames,you missed your calling in life-PLEASE come back again LOTS as there are far too few funny threads on these boards :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Oh & beat you-I think.The towel seller who sent no less than 21 ? emails NOT including the ebay ones,advising me of every step of a foxen towels process from A to B :_|:^O:^O:^O:^O

They copped a neg-I wanted TOWEL not a PENFRIEND :^O:^O:^O:^O

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

And yet Sellers still get given low DSR's for Communication........

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I DON'T CARE that the Chinese widget seller has shipped my $2 item. I expected them to send it. That's why I paid them. I don't email my boss every morning to tell him I turned up for work. It's just kind of understood.

:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O  Thank you for the laughs 

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply