The best way to negotiate a partial refund

I've purchased a vintage bedspread which the seller described as being in excellent condition, however, when it arrived today I noticed multiple patches of what look to be old coffee stains or something similiar on it. I contacted the seller who has offered a partial refund of $8, but I am not really happy with this amount as I am unsure whether the stains can be removed through drycleaning. I love the bedspread and would prefer to keep it than pay close to $20 to return it, but feel that $8 is hardly an appropriate refund considering that it will cost substantially more to dryclean it and even then the stains may remain. What do you think would be a fair amount to ask for in discount, or am I being ridiculous and should just accept the $8? I know if I need to return it I must do it through paypal and use a tracked postage method.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

eewww - on a bed spread, we can only hope that the stains are coffee.....

OK

*puts serious hat on*

you paid $28.60 for the bed spread.

you need to be very careful to not ask for anythiung as it against policy to request a service that the seller does not offer in their listing. They only offer a full refund, not partial, so be cautious....

IIn reality, wouldn't you be needing to dry clean a used bed spread anyway? I mean eewwww, think of what else could be lurking in there,,,

I guess it comes down to if you can use the bedspread even if the stains don't come out.

Me? If I loved it and wanted to keep it, I would have factored dry cleaning into the equation in the first place, but I'd be grateful for the offer of an $8 partial refund to be honest considering the amount of the sale, as the seller did not have to offer this. Otherwise, decide whether to return it for a full refund, I'm reasonably certain that PayPal would find in your favour, though they may not, as it does say Used - but they didn't specify any stains. Can you photograph the stains to show PayPal just in case? cos none show up on the pics I lkook4d at and I have a pretty large and high resolution screen.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Get a quote on a dryclean so you know exactly what it will cost and if the stains will be totally removable.

Then you will know if it will be practical, and how much more than 8$ it might be.

Get a quote on return shipping. Is 20 just a guess?

Then decide if you want to dryclean at your expense, with the 8$ as a contribution, or send it back.

You do not at this point know the important stuff to make a proper decision, or what would be a fair amount...

Normally, when something like this has happened to me, I get a drycleaning quote and shipping estimate right away so I know what is fair to request, and then send pics with a description of the problem, state the cost of a clean, and ask for a contribution to that if they think it appropriate.

So, the 8$ may be fair, you really need to get the total cost before attempting any renegotiation, then it is up to you to balance the 8 against cost against return cost, before asking for anything else.

Bear in mind also that if you do attempt to clean it, you will no longer be eligibe for Paypal buyer protection, as it will not be in the state you received it in. So very important to know if the stains would come out, not just guess.

If you love the quilt, and get a cost, then you can ask yourself if the quilt price is still what you would have paid with the 8$ thrown in.

You just cannot say until you take it to a drycleaner, what to do.

If you are going to use it as a quilt, you should really clean it thoroughly anyway, factor that in also.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

A used unwashed un drycleaned bedsrpead............should not have been sent to you in this manner.

eeeeeeew thinking of it........i think i just threw up in my mouth a little lol

That seller should be springing for the cleaning IMO ......

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

hello 🙂

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

I was going to use the bedspread as a backdrop for photos, so I was hoping it wouldn't need dry cleaning and I could just hand wash it. It does look as though it has been washed, and that the stains are likely quite old but it's always hard to tell these things. I'm only guessing it's coffee based on the pale brown colour, so you're right it could be anything.

My return shipping estimate is based on the $15.35 it cost the seller to send it to me - she sent it without any tracking, and I believe I need to use some form of tracking method for paypal?

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

As we know Reta, a lot of people think it is O.K. to sell items with stains, and undisclosed stains, on them 😡

They should have cleaned it. Maybe they did then thought it was fine..yes, yuk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

You do need tracking for Paypal. It is your proof you sent it.

And only send it back to the address that Paypal gives you, when they ask you to, if you open a claim.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Ok, I am going to the shopping centre now and will find out about the cost of postage and the cost of dry cleaning and report back 😉 Thank you everyone for helping me with this - I suffer from anxiety and find it incredibly difficult at times to ask for what I need.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Hope it works out for you 🙂

If shipping is expensive compared with the item, and it is for cosmetic reasons you needed it, hopefully you can dryclean it cheaply and the seller is OK with paying a fair share or all of it.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply