Unrequested cancellation

I recently purchased 3 items. Before paying I requested combined postage if possible. The seller invoiced an unchanged post amount. I politely messaged her and said if that is actually the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem and paid immediately.

The seller has now refunded the total payment claiming I requested the cancellation.

I can live without the items but have a problem with them being able to claim the cancellation was my idea without communication as backup.

I feel I have done nothing wrong and that they are offended I asked for combined post.

My concern is also bad feedback.

Is there anything I can do to correct the record to say that the SELLLER did the cancelling?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Unrequested cancellation

actually

adverb
  1. 1.
    as the truth or facts of a situation; really.
    -------------------------------------------

So the message  reads
    if that is the truth or facts of, really, the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem and paid immediately.
    Why would the  OP wish to proffer this,  after all they will never have access to the true costs which will vary from seller to seller, but they will have access to the stamp fee.
    Again, no need for the message at all, and  I can see no reason to  construe the message alternative to my previous posts.

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

GP - it seems I have missed nothing.

Show me where the OP has ' actually ' used the word ' actual '.

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

GP - it seems I have missed nothing.

Show me where the OP has ' actually ' used the word ' actual '.

""I recently purchased 3 items. Before paying I requested combined postage if possible. The seller invoiced an unchanged post amount. I politely messaged her and said if that is actually the price of the postage I have absolutely no problem and paid immediately.""

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Actual - is not actually.

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

No DOM,  what you missed is   "if that is"

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Having in excess of over 12,000 sales - I took the OP's response as OK - if that is the cost of postage OK - PAID.

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Done.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

I sensed the same possible undertone as you, gutterpunkz. We could be wrong. Nonetheless, I read the OP’s reply as “Well, no problem IF THAT IS ACTUALLY THE POSTAGE COST THAT AP CHARGE — and I’ll be checking. Problem if the postage cost is not actually the postage fee you are charging me.”

It’s often hard to determine a person’s meaning online; one misses those non-verbal cues. OP might have meant “Oh, I didn’t realise that the combined postage charge would still be $x, but of course if that’s the postage cost (which I understand isn’t just the stamp value), I’m happy to pay.” I didn’t think it was, but I may be wrong.

At any rate, in the end it’s up to the seller to decide whether a customer may possibly be too much work or too big a risk or whatever it might be.

Disappointing for the OP if she did not intend to convey a subtle undertone of “I’ll be checking about that postage cost; don’t you dare send in a satchel the price of which I know to be x less than what I’m paying for postage.” 

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

@*sons_n_daughters* wrote:

I think what some are missing is, the OP sent a message saying if that was the cost, then "I have NO PROBLEM". Not that there was a problem. I took that to mean they were happy to pay that cost. Maybe I missed something?

I think it is the qualifier that caused the seller to pause. The "If that is actually the price of the postage..."

The buyer knew the individual postage costs before she bought.

What she was hoping for though was that the items could be combined at a postage saving.

So that was the first headache for the seller. Someone who bought but then wanted changes made after the sale. I have no doubt that experienced sellers would have been able to manage this easily but it could be a headache for less experienced sellers.

Next comes the qualifier... she is happy to pay the original postage costs IF that is actually the cost.

In other words, she won't be happy if that is actually not the cost. And it may well not be. It is perfectly possible the seller had added a dollar or two onto the cost to cover wrapping and so on.

So that was the second potential headache for the seller. Some sellers may have just gone ahead and posted each item separately but this one got the wind up a bit and decided to jump the other way, to take no chances and just cancel.

I did check OP's feedback to others and while it is overwhelmingly positive, she is not afraid to give a neg where she feels it is called for. The seller was just afraid she might feel it was called for here if she had a problem with the postage charges.

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

Sounds like they were likely going to hear from you again when the postage wasn't exactly what you were charged. Because you haven't thought about the $2.22/litre of fuel they use to  drive the 30kms to get it to the post office. 

Your wording was akin to "Hello Mary, if that is your real name?"

'If that is the actually costs?"

Both question another's truthfulness. 

How would you feel if I suggested this scenario may not have actually happened the way you tell it? Would you like to spend more time interacting with me? 

Forgive others for interpreting your words as questioning their integrity. I'm not sure how else it could be taken.

You don't like it, I don't like it, no one likes having their integrity questioned. Taking steps to reduce this from happening is something most would do. Hence the results.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply