Vouchers

I have received 4 x $100 vouchers as compensation from ebay which expire on the 31st Dec. I cannot combine them i.e. I can only use $100 at a time in one transaction. I would like to somehow get cash value from these so i was thinking what 4 items i could buy for $100 and possibly resell them. Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated.
Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Vouchers

Just to be clear, the OP stated clearly he is looking for items that could possibly be resold, not returned.  Not the OP's fault that the thread has gone on a tangent

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

andr3-23 Community Member
4:45 PM
What about something from say Dicksmith's ebay store? Should i buy something from them and then return the items within 14 days to receive a refund?
~~
Op also wrote the above to Black*poppy.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

That was the impression I got. If it was me and I got them a month ago, I would have used them for Christmas shopping. No way would I have left it until the last minute. We're not talking a few bucks here.

I'd buy a phone. Probably from one of the many reliable sellers from China.-sheep.

------------------------

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

So funny.

I would have used them for Xmas shopping too, but as you haven't, have a think of what you could get people for birthdays (or wedding/engagement gifts) and then buy from aussie sellers. There are a lot of things you could get, but I would stick with things non electronic.

I find it odd you can't combine vouchers-what do you do if you buy something at eg $80? What happens to the left over money on the voucher?

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@andr3-23 wrote:
What about something from say Dicksmith's ebay store? Should i buy something from them and then return the items within 14 days to receive a refund?

If I know eBay even half as well as I think I do, that won't work.

Their vouchers don't have any cash value (otherwise they would have just credited your account with $400 and you could have requested a cash refund). When they provide vouchers, one of their general conditions is that you only get refunded what you personally contributed financially if the items are returned / refunded. If the purchase is funded entirely by vouchers, your refund from Dick Smith would amount to $0, making it a pointless exercise and a waste. ๐Ÿ˜‰

All you really need to do is think of 4 x $100 items that tend to retain value even if secondhand, if you want to convert them to as much cash as you can (don't forget if you resell on eBay, you'll be charged a 9.9% FVF on both sale price and postage, so go for lighter weight items). 

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Use them to buy gift vouchers for some large retailers such as Coles/Myer or DJs which have a much longer expiry period (but only from highly trusted sellers with extremely good feedback, as you have no buyer protection with gift vouchers). That's the closest thing to turning them into cash that I can think of.
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

thanks everyone for the help. I think digitalghost is right. The refund method wont work. so its either use them to buy retail vouchers as cq_tech said or buy items and resell. I saw dicksmith has 2 Google Chromecast's for $88. 1 alone retails for $50 and possibly more on ebay as it's quite popular. In that case i would need to buy 4 of them totalling to 8 chromecasts. also any unused credit from the $100 will be wiped.
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Usually a customer gets refunded by the same payment method they paid for the item with. Retailers don't refund in cash for items bought with gift cards, vouchers etc.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

No, they don't, but at least it solves the OP's more immediate problem of her current vouchers expiring in 48 hours or so, and by buying vouchers from large, well-known retailers which will likely be used, redeeming them for cash won't be a primary concern. For example, Coles/Myers gift vouchers can be used at any store owned by that company, which covers a huge number of different retailers. You can even use them to buy groceries, so they certainly won't go to waste.
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply