Warranty - dodgy tactics

Ill try and get this right.

Some sellers are either delaying to get outside 45 days. Or after 45 days are simply refusing to honour their warranty.

This is apparently not a violation of ebays rules. So as a buyer you can't do anything. You have no recourse.

Most sellers are fine. I buy a fair bit of stuff from china and have only one issue.
Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Warranty - dodgy tactics

If you google that no frills brand,its makes for 'interesting' reading ie you got 10 months out of it so you should count yourself reasonably lucky as 12 months seems to be the maximum lol

Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

Kopenhagen, yes I already had.  But more cryptic or information devoid posts are welcome.

foxette, the units are cheap and nasty yes.  Reliability isn't their selling point.  However most of the suppliers will honour their warranty.  the issue is some don't.  People need to know which ones.

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

So kopenhagen,

tell us.  you have an item. One year warranty.  It breaks after three months.  the seller refuses to honour the warranty.  What do you do?  

I mean I read all the responses, none actually replied to this point (what do you do after the time frame is up).

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

So kopenhagen,

tell us.  you have an item. One year warranty.  It breaks after three months.  the seller refuses to honour the warranty.  What do you do?  

I mean I read all the responses, none actually replied to this point (what do you do after the time frame is up).

If I had bought it on ebay I would not expect either the seller or the manufacturer to honour the the warranty.   I would throw it in the garbage and go and replace it at a B & M store where there will be no warranty problems.

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

Many on-line business's honour their warranties as should eBay sellers. Increase the time available for feedback according to the warranty is a good way to keep sellers honest.  

Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

If I had purchased from an authorised re seller then I would expect the manufacturer to honour the warranty if the seller wouldn't, if they didn't and I had purchased it on ebay using Paypal I would have used my credit card to fund the payment in the knowledge that if it failed within a reasonable time that a person could expect it to last I could do a chargeback through my card provider.

If it was a cheap bit of tat from China I probably wouldn't waste my time and would just bin it and buy another.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

Phorum, problem is your method doesnt help.

PayPal in Australia will not accept American Express credit cards.

in any case the time frame for Amex on returns is also three months.

so once agin there is no recourse.

in this case the manufacturer IS the retailer.  They have a dedicated dodgy tactic of not honouring their warranty.

$250 is not a small amount of momoney.  If you think it is how about you give me the money.

So again, what is wrong with warning people of this?  Exactly who are you trying to defend in this dodgy practice?

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

I don't understand your issue with this phorum.

There is a seller out there who is defrauding people.  Most seasonable people would think it is a good idea to let other people know.  After three months if the unit fails there is zero recourse through eBay, PayPal, or credit card company.

the seller knows this.  So they can offer a one (or as they are now doing, a two year) warranty when really it is only a three month warranty (at best, more like one month once they delay the buyer).

The other sellers should be the ones most upset.  The dodgy seller can undercut them on price because they have less future risk of warranty repair costs.

So what exactly is the problem with highlighting this practice on an eBay discussion forum?

The  honest buyers and sellers should be happy this practice is being discussed.  The only people who really wouldn't want it known is eBay itself (as it has a financial interest in keeping sellers happy).

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

Warranty - dodgy tactics

There are lots of credit cards other than Amex. Find one where the bank will act on third party sales and give at least a six month window on chargebacks.

Message 10 of 60
Latest reply